Go to the Globe and Mail homepage

Jump to main navigationJump to main content


Parents charged after tests reveal Winnipeg infant ingested carfentanil Add to ...

Police say a nine-month-old boy found in critical condition in a Winnipeg home last month ingested a powerful drug called carfentanil that has recently turned up in the city.

Powder found at the scene was believed to be fentanyl, but tests show it was the much more powerful drug – a synthetic opioid that can be fatal in very small doses.

The infant’s condition has improved.

Const. Jason Michalyshen says it’s not clear how the child ingested the drug.

But he adds kids are curious and there are a number of ways in which a small amount can get into a child’s system.

The boy’s parents have been charged with failure to provide the necessities of life, criminal negligence causing bodily harm and possession for the purpose of trafficking.

“An incredibly scary circumstance for everyone involved, and we’re so thankful that this nine-month –old has improved and is now safe,” Michalyshen said Thursday.

He said the case is a wake-up call for the city.

Carfentanil was first discovered in Winnipeg in September. Police found 1,477 doses in a hotel room and arrested a 37-year-old man.

The bust followed larger seizures in British Columbia and Alberta, including a package discovered by border agents in August that contained one kilogram of carfentanil – enough for 50 million doses.

Report Typo/Error

Also on The Globe and Mail

Life lost: One mother's tragic slide into fentanyl addiction (The Globe and Mail)

Next story




Most popular videos »

More from The Globe and Mail

Most popular