Skip to main content

The Globe and Mail

Police to charge second man with murder in Tim Bosma case

Police have made a second arrest in the Tim Bosma murder case.

Mark Smich, 25, of Oakville, Ont., was arrested Wednesday morning, Superintendent Dan Kinsella said at a press conference broadcast from Hamilton Police Service's Central Station.

He will be charged with first-degree murder in connection with the killing of 32-year-old Ancaster resident Tim Bosma.

Story continues below advertisement

No one answered the phone at the Smich residence in the Glen Abbey neighbourhood of Oakville Wednesday afternoon.

News of the arrest came as more than 1,600 mourners remembered Mr. Bosma at a service in the same Hamilton banquet hall where he and his wife danced on their wedding night.

Dellen Millard, the 27-year-old heir to a family aviation dynasty, already faces charges of forcible confinement, theft over $5,000 and first-degree murder.

The Hamilton Police Service had been searching for more suspects as they investigated the May 6 disappearance of Mr. Bosma, who had left his wife and two-year-old daughter at his home to take two strangers – a tall man and short man – for a test drive in the black 2007 Dodge Ram he had advertised for sale online.

One week later, his badly burned remains were discovered on a rural property outside Kitchener, Ont.

Police are looking for one more suspect.

A relative of one man questioned by Bosma investigators told The Globe and Mail that the interview included questions about the 2012 death of Dellen's father, Wayne.

Story continues below advertisement

Police are also re-examining his relationship to Laura Babcock, a Toronto woman who went missing last July, according to a CTV News report.

Toronto Police said Wayne's death on Nov. 29, 2012, was deemed a suicide at the time. Nearly six months later, the Ontario Chief Coroner's office says the investigation into Wayne's death remains "ongoing."

Mr. Smich and another Oakville man were charged last fall with mischief for spray-painting graffiti on an overpass, according to an Inside Halton article.

The article said Halton Regional Police arrested them after a chase and found the suspects had paint on their hands.

Report an error Licensing Options
About the Author
National reporter

Tu Thanh Ha is based in Toronto and writes frequently about judicial, political and security issues. He spent 12 years as a correspondent for the Globe and Mail in Montreal, reporting on Quebec politics, organized crime, terror suspects, space flights and native issues. More

Comments are closed

We have closed comments on this story for legal reasons. For more information on our commenting policies and how our community-based moderation works, please read our Community Guidelines and our Terms and Conditions.