Skip to main content

The Globe and Mail

Quebec City police mount operation to close Occupy camp

Occupy Quebec demonstrators face police officers after city workers dismantled a temporary building, Friday, November 18, 2011 in Quebec City.

Jacques Boissinot/THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jacques Boissinot/THE CANADIAN PRESS

Police mounted an operation at dawn today in Quebec City to begin removing Occupy protesters.

The protesters were among the first Occupy protesters in several Canadian cities to receive an eviction notice on November 3rd.

Several dozen people took part in the protest initially, but only a handful spent the night at the camp erected several weeks ago.

Story continues below advertisement

They reportedly offered no resistance when police moved in.

Mayor Regis Labeaume said Monday that he believed the authorities have been very patient and tolerant with the protesters.

But he said the occupation makes no sense now since people will likely get sick if they sleep outside in the winter.

Police, fire officials and city workers had earlier swept through the downtown to seize material deemed to be a fire hazard.

Report an error
As of December 20, 2017, we have temporarily removed commenting from our articles. We hope to have this resolved by the end of January 2018. Thank you for your patience. If you are looking to give feedback on our new site, please send it along to feedback@globeandmail.com. If you want to write a letter to the editor, please forward to letters@globeandmail.com.