Skip to main content

The Thunderbird Motel where fugitive Ryan Jenkins was found dead is pictured in Hope, B.C., on Sunday August 23, 2009. RCMP say fugitive murder suspect Ryan Jenkins has been found dead of an apparent suicide in a motel in the town of Hope about 90 minutes east of Vancouver.DARRYL DYCK

A mystery woman who booked Ryan Jenkins into a motel room in Hope, B.C., where the former Calgary resident was later found dead, has been identified by police and is not a danger to the public, according to the RCMP.

"We wanted to reassure the Canadian public that the RCMP know who this individual is. We do not need assistance locating this person and she should not be considered a risk," Sergeant Duncan Pound said yesterday during a news conference in Hope, which is about 135 kilometres east of Vancouver.

But other details about the woman - including where she lives, her relationship with Mr. Jenkins, how her whereabouts became known to police and even if she is in custody - were not publicly disclosed, as the police cited an ongoing investigation into the case.

Mr. Jenkins, a former television reality contestant, had been the focus of an international manhunt after he was accused of murdering his model wife Jasmine Fiore, 28, and then disposing of her naked, mutilated and beaten body in a dumpster near Los Angeles.

Police believe that the 32-year-old managed to sneak back into Canada illegally last Wednesday as law officials on both sides of the border searched for him. On Sunday, the self-proclaimed millionaire was found dead of an apparent suicide in Room 2 at the Thunderbird Motel.

Police have also refused to say whether the woman may have had help from anyone else, including members of Mr. Jenkins's family, in connection with his flight into B.C. and to the mountain town of Hope.

They are not even describing the mystery woman.

Kevin Walker, manager of the Thunderbird, remembers her well.

He said yesterday that a pretty, tall, blonde young woman, using cash, booked a room last Thursday for herself and her travelling companion, who remained in a Chrysler PT Cruiser with Alberta licence plates as she paid.

Mr. Walker said the woman paid $140 for three nights. On Sunday, when the couple didn't check out, Mr. Walker entered the locked room around 2 p.m. and found Mr. Jenkins hanging by a belt off the coat rack, his feet touching the floor. A laptop computer was sitting on the bed.

Mr. Jenkins hadn't been seen by police since he walked into a Los Angeles police station on Aug. 15 and reported his wife had gone out to run errands and get her nails done, but never returned.

Earlier that day, Ms. Fiore's body was found in Buena Park, a city southeast of Los Angeles.

She had been stuffed in large suitcase, and her finger tips and teeth had been removed. Police officials later identified her by tracing the serial numbers on her breast implants. A preliminary coroner's report suggests she was strangled.

Buena Park police department Lieutenant Steve Holliday told reporters late Sunday night the murder case is "still an open investigation" even though the prime suspect is dead.

There is speculation Mr. Jenkins may have had help with is wife's murder. Lt. Holliday repeatedly dodged that question during the brief news conference, only saying: "I do believe [Mr. Jenkins]participated in the murder."

California police are still searching for the victim's missing 2007 white Mercedes-Benz CLS-550, which Lt. Holliday described as a "key piece of evidence."

Back in Hope, B.C., Sgt. Pound said the mystery woman could be charged with helping Mr. Jenkins illegally cross the border. He said it would be up to U.S. law enforcement officials to charge her with being an accessory after the fact in connection with Ms. Fiore's murder.

Mr. Walker spent yesterday giving tours of Mr. Jenkins's small motel room to the throngs of reporters who travelled to Hope. He has not had much sleep since Sunday.

"Stunning," he said. "Of all the places to pick, this little town of Hope."

Interact with The Globe