One of the two RCMP officers in New Brunswick wounded in shootings last month in Moncton says he has returned to work, News 919 in Moncton reports.
Const. Eric Dubois spoke to the media Wednesday for the first time since the June 4 shootings while he was participating at a golf tournament at Royal Oaks Golf Club in Moncton.
The tournament was organized in memory of the three other Mounties who were killed in the shootings.
Dubois said he is recovering from his injuries faster than he expected and was happy to participate in the tournament, which featured a moment of remembrance for constables Fabrice Gevaudan, Dave Ross and Doug Larche.
"Everybody was praying for me and I can tell you that it did work because my healing went so fast. Everyone around me says it's incredible how fast everything went back to normal," said Dubois.
"I'm not superhuman. It's because people were praying and wishing me good stuff and it works."
Dubois added that he's happy to be back at work.
"That's what I want to do — be on the street and fight crime every day and make sure that when you go to work or you go to a restaurant, you can have a safe environment," he said.
Gevaudan, Ross and Larche were shot dead and a manhunt spanning 30 hours ensued until a suspect was arrested.
Const. Darlene Goguen was also injured in the shootings and has been treated and released from hospital.
Justin Bourque is charged with three counts of first-degree murder and two counts of attempted murder. He is scheduled to return to provincial court Thursday in Moncton following a psychiatric assessment.