Another suspect in the so-called Toronto 18 terror plot aimed at downtown Toronto targets has pleaded guilty to a terrorism charge.
Ali Dirie, who is in his early 20s, plead guilty to one count of participating in a terrorist group Monday.
He still faces a charge involving smuggling a handgun across the Canada-U.S. border in 2006.
"I can confirm to you that Ali Dirie entered a plea of guilty today," said Dan Brien, a spokesman for the federal prosecutor's office.
He said there were no outstanding publication-ban issues involving the plea, but Mr. Dirie's lawyer, Robert Nuttall, declined comment, saying he wasn't sure of the extent of the ban.
Mr. Dirie is the second adult to plead guilty in as many months in the Toronto terrorism conspiracy that sparked a high-profile bust of young extremists in 2006. Eight adult accused will face trial in the new year.
Last month, confessed bomb-plotter Saad Khalid was sentenced to 14 years in prison after admitting he was part of a scheme to explode truck bombs in downtown Toronto.
A youth was convicted last year of attending a makeshift terrorism training camp north of Toronto.
Mr. Dirie was peripheral to the plot - arrested and convicted of a gun-running charge prior to the training camp and bomb plot that other suspects are accused of participating in. However, he was caught on wiretaps calling other suspects while he was held in a federal penitentiary.
The case has been dubbed the "Toronto 18" conspiracy, but seven suspects were let go on peace bonds.Report Typo/Error