Skip to main content

Canada Slain Moncton Mounties honoured in RCMP memorial ceremony

Police and members of the public gathered in Moncton for the funeral of three New Brunswick Mounties killed in the line of duty. The brother of Douglas Larche says the constable "always put others before himself."

CP Video

Memories of the three Mounties fatally shot by a gunman in Moncton, N.B., last June were at the forefront of an annual service honouring officers killed in the line of duty on Sunday.

The names of Constables Dave Ross, Fabrice Gevaudan and Douglas Larche were inscribed on a cenotaph, honour roll and memorial wall plaques at the force's training academy during the National Memorial Service.

Family members of the slain officers shared emotional memories. Dan Larche Jr. described how family was the focal point of his late brother Douglas' life, and he "beamed" watching his three daughters growing up.

Story continues below advertisement

Being a Mountie was more than a job to Douglas Larche, his brother told the service.

"He was very proud to be a member of the RCMP, to have a second family, to serve his Moncton community in whatever way he could or was asked to."

Angela Gevaudan, the widow of Fabrice Gevaudan, reminisced about letters she received from her husband's classmates at the academy and the common thread they shared.

"Fab was the runner in the troop, he always finished first, but would circle back to also finish last, he never left anyone behind, that's the kind of person he was," Angela Gevaudan, who was joined by her daughter Emma, told the service.

"One night, I was crying, thinking about how incredible he was," she said, her voice cracking.

Among the dignitaries who attended the service were RCMP Commissioner Bob Paulson and Saskatchewan Lt. Gov. Vaughn Solomon.

In a statement Paulson said the shootings were "a tragedy that was felt by residents of Moncton, Canadians across this country and every member of the Force."

Story continues below advertisement

Two other constables were injured in the June 24 incident.

Justin Bourque, 24, pleaded guilty last month to three charges of first-degree murder and two counts of attempted murder.

Bourque is to return to court Oct. 27 when victim impact statements and pre-sentencing documents will be filed with the court.

Report an error
Due to technical reasons, we have temporarily removed commenting from our articles. We hope to have this fixed soon. Thank you for your patience. If you are looking to give feedback on our new site, please send it along to feedback@globeandmail.com. If you want to write a letter to the editor, please forward to letters@globeandmail.com.

Welcome to The Globe and Mail’s comment community. This is a space where subscribers can engage with each other and Globe staff. Non-subscribers can read and sort comments but will not be able to engage with them in any way. Click here to subscribe.

If you would like to write a letter to the editor, please forward it to letters@globeandmail.com. Readers can also interact with The Globe on Facebook and Twitter .

Welcome to The Globe and Mail’s comment community. This is a space where subscribers can engage with each other and Globe staff. Non-subscribers can read and sort comments but will not be able to engage with them in any way. Click here to subscribe.

If you would like to write a letter to the editor, please forward it to letters@globeandmail.com. Readers can also interact with The Globe on Facebook and Twitter .

Welcome to The Globe and Mail’s comment community. This is a space where subscribers can engage with each other and Globe staff.

We aim to create a safe and valuable space for discussion and debate. That means:

  • Treat others as you wish to be treated
  • Criticize ideas, not people
  • Stay on topic
  • Avoid the use of toxic and offensive language
  • Flag bad behaviour

Comments that violate our community guidelines will be removed.

Read our community guidelines here

Discussion loading ...

Cannabis pro newsletter