Skip to main content

Master-Corporal Charles-Philippe Michaud is shown in an undated DND handout photo from Val Cartier, Que.. The Canadian Forces say Michaud, who was seriously injured on June 23, 2009 when an improvised explosive device detonated near his dismounted patrol in Panjwayi District, southwest of Kandahar City, has died from his injuries on Saturday. (Photo: The Canadian Forces)

A Quebec-based soldier died Saturday after suffering critical injuries when a land mine detonated while he was on foot patrol last month in Afghanistan.

Master-Corporal Charles-Philippe Michaud, who served with the Royal 22nd Regiment based at Canadian Forces Base Valcartier, had been patrolling in Panjwayi District, southwest of Kandahar City.

He was airlifted to the Landstuhl Regional Medical Centre in Germany and arrived in Quebec City on June 28. A military spokesman said he never regained consciousness.

MCpl. Michaud is survived by his wife, parents, and brother. He was 28.

MCpl. Michaud's death was announced as another family prepared to receive the remains of the 121st Canadian soldier killed in Afghanistan.

The body of Corporal Nick Bulger, who was killed last Friday by a roadside bomb in Zhari district, is due to arrive Monday afternoon at Canadian Forces Base Trenton.

Cpl. Bulger, 30, from the 3rd Battalion, Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry based in Edmonton, was raised near Peterborough, Ont.

Word on the repatriation of Cpl. Bulger's remains came on the same day the military announced Michaud had died from his wounds.

Michaud was praised Sunday as a model soldier who worked tirelessly to season his fellow troops.

"Nicknamed 'Chuck' by his friends, MCpl. Michaud had an enormous presence in the field and the garrison," said Colonel Jean Marc Lanthier, commander of the 5th Canadian Mechanized Brigade Group, as he announced Michaud's death at Canadian Forces Base Valcartier, near Quebec City.

"Very close to his men, he looked after their well-being constantly," Col. Lanthier said. "He was deeply involved in the development of his subordinates and was a mentor to younger soldiers."

"He remains an example to be followed by all his fellow troops. His departure leaves a huge hole in the heart of his section, his platoon and his regiment."

MCpl. Michaud, who was on his third operational tour and his second in Afghanistan, was wounded southwest of Kandahar city. He never regained consciousness.

A helicopter raced him from the scene of the explosion to the coalition medical facility in Kandahar city. He was transferred to a military hospital in Germany before being returned to a Quebec City hospital on June 28.

He died of his injuries on Saturday afternoon.

Cpl. Lanthier said Michaud is survived by his wife, his parents and a brother. The military said the family would have no immediate comment.

Tributes poured in quickly from Prime Minister Stephen Harper, Governor-General Michaelle Jean and Defence Minister Peter MacKay.

Harper extended his sympathies to Michaud's family and friends and reiterated his commitment to Canada's mission in Afghanistan.

"We honour his sacrifice," Mr. Harper said in a statement. "We stand by our troops and allies in the struggle to bring Afghans a better future and make Canadians safer."

MacKay described Michaud as "valiant and courageous."

"Thanks to MCpl. Charles-Philippe Michaud, progress and change is taking place in Afghanistan."

In praising MCpl. Michaud, Jean noted that "attacks in Afghanistan are constant and merciless."

"Our patrolling soldiers and those assigned to demining the country are acutely aware of this and yet go meet danger face to face every day," she said.

"Their courage knows no limit."

Interact with The Globe