Skip to main content

The Globe and Mail

Storm delays investigation into suspicious fire in Charlottetown

A Canadian flag flies at half-mast outside the Montague Regional High School in Montague, P.E.I., Monday, March 31, 2014. Police released the names of Kenneth Irving, 15, Brandon Alexander MacKinnon, 16, and Joseph Reeves, 19 as the three people killed in a weekend fire in Charlottetown.


Three days of stormy weather have delayed the police investigation into the deaths of three teenaged boys whose bodies were found after a weekend fire at an abandoned building in Charlottetown.

Deputy Chief Gary McGuigan of the Charlottetown Police Service said on Tuesday that with much of the island shut down by blizzard-like conditions, investigators have made little progress.

"We're getting hit now with a storm over here," he said in an interview. "We've lost a couple days due to weather."

Story continues below advertisement

Police have said they do not suspect foul play in the case.

Deputy Chief McGuigan also said the investigation will take time because the fire on Saturday gutted the old building, leaving a great deal of debris to sift through.

"The integrity of the structure has been somewhat compromised by the fire," he said. "[Investigators] have to be careful where they can go and what they can do."

Police have spoken with some of the teens' friends, but Deputy Chief McGuigan said it remains unclear what they were doing in the building or what caused the fire.

"They're starting to put things together, but we're not anywhere close to a factual timeline," he said.

Police have identified the three teenagers as 19-year-old Joseph Reeves, 16-year-old Brandon MacKinnon and 15-year-old Kenneth Irving.

The English Language School Board in PEI said the two younger boys attended Montague Regional High School and Montague Intermediate School.

Story continues below advertisement

A youth who was injured in the fire was airlifted to a Halifax hospital for treatment. He is a student at Montague Regional High School.

Police say the small, green building – once a used car dealership – had been vacant for years and its windows and doors were boarded up.

Report an error

The Globe invites you to share your views. Please stay on topic and be respectful to everyone. For more information on our commenting policies and how our community-based moderation works, please read our Community Guidelines and our Terms and Conditions.

We’ve made some technical updates to our commenting software. If you are experiencing any issues posting comments, simply log out and log back in.

Discussion loading… ✨