Skip to main content

A convicted member of the Toronto 18 terrorist group was sentenced to serve another two years in custody Friday for his role in a plot to wreak havoc on Canadian targets.

Both the Crown and defence had asked the judge to sentence Ali Dirie to seven years but differed on how much credit he should have had for time served.

In passing sentence, Ontario Superior Court Justice Bruce Durno said terrorism offences "strike at the heart" of Canadian values.

"His moral culpability is high," Justice Durno said.

"His degree of responsibility is also high because of the duration of his involvement (in the terror group)."

Justice Durno rejected defence calls for three-for-one credit for the time Mr. Dirie served in segregation in various prison facilities following his arrest in August 2005.

He also noted that Mr. Dirie continued his involvement with the group even after his arrest.

"It was his own misconduct (in prison) that contributed in part to his placement in segregation," said Justice Durno, adding that Mr. Dirie was "an unlikely candidate for parole."

The 26-year-old Dirie pleaded guilty to taking part in and helping the group obtain weapons and travel documents in a plot to attack Canadian targets, which included RCMP headquarters and Parliament.

Defence lawyer Robert Nuttall said he was satisfied with the result, adding Mr. Dirie now knows that a violent approach to expressing his opposition to Canada's role in Afghanistan was wrong.

"He realized that the means didn't advance his belief but in fact, if anything, retarded it," Mr. Nuttall said outside court.

"He profoundly regrets the means."

Mr. Dirie is among four members of the group convicted in the plot that made international headlines when police swooped down on them in June 2006.

On Monday, Saad Gaya, 21, pleaded guilty to intending to cause an explosion for the benefit of a terrorist group.

Mr. Gaya and Saad Khalid were arrested while unloading bags labelled "ammonium nitrate" from a truck driven by an undercover police officer.

Mr. Khalid, 23, pleaded guilty in May and earlier this month was handed a 14-year prison sentence. He was given seven years credit for pre-trial custody and can apply for parole after less than 2 1/2 years.

Only one case involving the Toronto 18 has gone to trial so far, resulting in a conviction.

Last September, a judge found Nishanthan Yogakrishnan guilty of participating in, and contributing to, a terrorist group.

Although 17 at the time of the offences, he was tried as a youth but received an adult sentence of 2 1/2 years before being released in May in light of his time served before trial.

In the summer of 2006, an intense investigation involving Canada's spy agency and the RCMP ended with the arrests of 18 people in the Toronto area and the seizure of apparent bomb-making materials.

The case took a stunning turn when allegations surfaced that the ringleaders had talked about plans to storm Parliament, take MPs hostage and behead the prime minister.

Seven men, including the alleged leaders of the group, remain in custody awaiting trial.

Seven of the 18 people arrested have since had their charges dropped or stayed.