Go to the Globe and Mail homepage

Jump to main navigationJump to main content


Week-long Newfoundland standoff ends with arrest of man Add to ...

A week-long standoff in eastern Newfoundland that police said was marked at times by shots being fired from a house ended peacefully on Saturday when RCMP made an arrest.

Police said a suspect was taken into custody without incident around noon in Bay Bulls as the standoff stretched into its eighth day.

No one was hurt in the incident about 30 kilometres southwest of St. John's, but police said the suspect would receive medical attention as a precaution.

Few other details were released.

In a statement, Sgt. Boyd Merrill credited the arrest with "the introduction of water into the residence . . . the turning off of the power and the use of noise."

He refused to elaborate on the methods used, saying police needed more time to evaluate the information before releasing any more details.

Sgt. Merrill also said that "community information" led to the suspect's arrest, but he would not say what that meant.

"The RCMP strategy of using strategic, non-aggressive means to make a safe arrest has proven successful," the statement read.

"This arrest would not have been possible without the tremendous help we received from the public."

The standoff began Dec. 4 when a man barricaded himself inside a home.

Police went to the house after reports that a man had been threatening family members.

RCMP said shots were fired on Monday and Tuesday at a robot that was being used to deliver letters and a telephone to the house.

Police said more shots were fired Wednesday night when an emergency response team used tear gas in an attempt to make an arrest.

No one was hurt as the officers pulled back to a safer distance. RCMP said officers did not return fire.

On Friday, police cut power to the home in hopes of enticing the man to communicate with officers as the temperature hovered around freezing.

"The environment that he's in right now is cold, dark and it's very damp," Sgt. Merrill said in an interview Saturday, before an arrest was made.

Sgt. Merrill said officers had tried repeatedly to communicate with the man. But aside from a few outbursts, Sgt. Merrill said there had been no "meaningful dialogue."

Following Saturday's arrest, Sgt. Merrill said officers were sweeping the residence to ensure all firearms and ammunition were accounted for.

Police said they would release more information at a news conference scheduled for Monday.

Leo Crockwell, 55, of Bay Bulls is accused of uttering threats, assault with a weapon, assault and other firearms charges.

Report Typo/Error

Follow us on Twitter: @globeandmail


Next story




Most popular videos »

More from The Globe and Mail

Most popular