A Hamilton woman who lost her winning $50-million lottery ticket last year is on the verge of getting her prize after an extensive investigation.
Rod Phillips, the chief executive officer of the Ontario Lottery and Gaming Corporation, says Kathryn Jones's case is "one of the most unique in OLG's history."
OLG says Jones bought a ticket at a Shoppers Drug Mart in Cambridge, Ont., last year that turned out to have the winning jackpot numbers from the Nov. 30, 2012, Lotto Max draw.
OLG received more than 435 inquiries since that draw and in the process of reviewing them, it determined that Jones, who is a regular lottery player, had the winning ticket for the huge jackpot.
When Jones wasn't able to find her ticket, OLG carried out its "Lost Ticket Prize Claim" process to ensure she was the rightful winner.
That investigation included interviews with Jones, using the OLG transactions database to verify her purchase, checking surveillance video which showed her buying the $16 ticket and referencing her credit card statements.
OLG also found out that Jones had a sister who owns a retail outlet in Ottawa that sells OLG tickets, a finding which prompted an additional review of her win by an independent third party, which found no issues.
OLG says the prize will now be held for a minimum of 30 days and if there are no additional valid claims on the $50-million, Jones will get her winnings.
Jones says she is still in shock and is "very grateful" that OLG approached her over her prize.