Skip to main content

Ontario Finance Minister Charles Sousa is congratulated by Premier Kathleen Wynne after tabling the provincial budget on May 2, 2013.

MOE DOIRON/THE GLOBE AND MAIL

The Ontario government has considered raising fees for everyone from drivers to police recruits to small business owners in an effort to scare up cash as it wrestles with an $11.7-billion deficit.

The Liberals looked at more than 50 options, approved three and ruled out one. They have not taken the other ideas off the table, however.

Earlier this week, a Treasury Board memorandum discovered by the Progressive Conservatives revealed that the government had asked civil servants to come up with ideas on new fees and charges before the budget.

Story continues below advertisement

On Tuesday, the Tories distributed the complete list of proposals.

Among the more than 50 items are a higher charge for renewing drivers' licences, a fee for businesses applying for liquor licences and a tuition hike at the Ontario Police College.

Even users of provincial parks would be asked to pay up, under one suggestion.

The ideas were floated at Treasury Board before the current year's budget was drafted. Only three of the proposals are marked as approved, including a fee related to the Drive Clean program, and the government has explicitly ruled out one, the reintroduction of photo radar for speeders.

The government, however, has left the door open to the others.

"This is an all-out attack on the pocketbook of Ontario men and women that they simply can't afford," PC Leader Tim Hudak said.

Rather than raising new revenues, he said, the government ought to bring costs down, such as through less generous contracts with public sector unions.

Story continues below advertisement

The government tried to play down the list's significance, saying it was only a series of suggestions.

"Read the budget, that is what we're doing," Finance Minister Charles Sousa said in the legislature, under questioning from Mr. Hudak.

The Tories found the memo and the attached list buried in a pile of internal government documents released to a committee probing the cancellations of two gas-fired power plants.

Report an error Editorial code of conduct
Comments

Welcome to The Globe and Mail’s comment community. This is a space where subscribers can engage with each other and Globe staff. Non-subscribers can read and sort comments but will not be able to engage with them in any way. Click here to subscribe.

If you would like to write a letter to the editor, please forward it to letters@globeandmail.com. Readers can also interact with The Globe on Facebook and Twitter .

Welcome to The Globe and Mail’s comment community. This is a space where subscribers can engage with each other and Globe staff. Non-subscribers can read and sort comments but will not be able to engage with them in any way. Click here to subscribe.

If you would like to write a letter to the editor, please forward it to letters@globeandmail.com. Readers can also interact with The Globe on Facebook and Twitter .

Welcome to The Globe and Mail’s comment community. This is a space where subscribers can engage with each other and Globe staff.

We aim to create a safe and valuable space for discussion and debate. That means:

  • Treat others as you wish to be treated
  • Criticize ideas, not people
  • Stay on topic
  • Avoid the use of toxic and offensive language
  • Flag bad behaviour

Comments that violate our community guidelines will be removed.

If your comment doesn't appear immediately it has been sent to a member of our moderation team for review

Read our community guidelines here

Discussion loading ...

Due to technical reasons, we have temporarily removed commenting from our articles. We hope to have this fixed soon. Thank you for your patience. If you are looking to give feedback on our new site, please send it along to feedback@globeandmail.com. If you want to write a letter to the editor, please forward to letters@globeandmail.com.