Skip to main content

Former Conservative MP Dean Del Mastro is pictured outside an Oshawa, Ont. courthouse on Jan. 5, 2016.

Chris Young/THE CANADIAN PRESS

A former federal politician has lost his bid to have his convictions for electoral offences overturned.

The Ontario Court of Appeal said Wednesday it is upholding Dean Del Mastro's 2014 convictions on three violations of the Canada Elections Act.

Del Mastro was former prime minister Stephen Harper's one-time point man on defending the Tories against allegations of electoral fraud.

Story continues below advertisement

He was convicted of overspending, failing to report a personal contribution of $21,000 he made to his own campaign and filing a false report during the 2008 election.

He was sentenced to a month in jail, but has been free on bail since last year as the appeal process moved forward.

Del Mastro has 60 days to decide whether to seek leave to bring his appeal before the Supreme Court.

"We are actively considering an application for leave to appeal to the Supreme Court of Canada," his lawyer, Scott Fenton, said Wednesday in an email.

"My client is very disappointed with the Court of Appeal's decision concerning important matters regarding the proper interpretation of the Elections Act as they impacted his trial," Fenton said.

Report an error
Comments are closed

We have closed comments on this story for legal reasons or for abuse. For more information on our commenting policies and how our community-based moderation works, please read our Community Guidelines and our Terms and Conditions.

Due to technical reasons, we have temporarily removed commenting from our articles. We hope to have this fixed soon. Thank you for your patience. If you are looking to give feedback on our new site, please send it along to feedback@globeandmail.com. If you want to write a letter to the editor, please forward to letters@globeandmail.com.