Skip to main content

The Globe and Mail

Ornge suffering $14.5-million deficit this year, Tories claim

The head offices of Ornge in Mississauga, Feb. 16, 2012. The Ontario Provincial Police were asked by the Ministry of Health to investigate financial transactions involving Ornge and a series of private, for-profit entities it created.

J.P. Moczulski for The Globe and Mail/j.p. moczulski The Globe and Mail

The Progressive Conservatives say new documents show Ontario's troubled air ambulance service is running a $14.5-million deficit.

The documents are dated more than a year ago.

Since then, the government has replaced the board of directors and its former CEO, Chris Mazza, and called in the police to investigate financial irregularities.

Story continues below advertisement

Ornge says the board approved a balanced budget for fiscal 2012/13 and Ornge is not asking the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care for additional funding.

The 2011 documents say Ornge will need a 10.5 per cent funding increase from the government to cover the deficit. The budget papers also show Ornge is forecasted to pay about $20-million in the 2013 fiscal year.

Tory Frank Klees says the documents show the degree to which the governing Liberals have allowed Ornge to squander health-care dollars.

Report an error
As of December 20, 2017, we have temporarily removed commenting from our articles. We hope to have this resolved by the end of January 2018. Thank you for your patience. If you are looking to give feedback on our new site, please send it along to feedback@globeandmail.com. If you want to write a letter to the editor, please forward to letters@globeandmail.com.