Skip to main content

The Globe and Mail

Transport Minister decries Edmonton airport’s handling of man caught with explosive

Transport Minister Lisa Raitt speaks in Ottawa on Nov. 20, 2013.

SEAN KILPATRICK/THE CANADIAN PRESS

The federal Transport Minister says the way security screeners at Edmonton's International Airport handled a young man who was caught with an explosive device in his luggage was unacceptable.

In a statement, Lisa Raitt says the 18-year-old should not have been allowed to board his flight after the device was confiscated.

And Raitt says security personnel should not have waited four days to contact RCMP, who eventually laid charges.

Story continues below advertisement

Skylar Murphy pleaded guilty last month to possession of an explosive substance and was sentenced to a year of probation and fined $100.

Court documents describe the material seized from his luggage as black powder and there are reports that say it was a pipe bomb.

Canada's Air Transport Security Authority has said little about the incident, only that screeners do not have the authority to arrest passengers and that the organization constantly reviews procedures.

Raitt says she will call the president of the authority to discuss the matter.

Report an error
Comments

The Globe invites you to share your views. Please stay on topic and be respectful to everyone. For more information on our commenting policies and how our community-based moderation works, please read our Community Guidelines and our Terms and Conditions.

Please note that our commenting partner Civil Comments is closing down. As such we will be implementing a new commenting partner in the coming weeks. As of December 20th, 2017 we will be shutting down commenting on all article pages across our site while we do the maintenance and updates. We understand that commenting is important to our audience and hope to have a technical solution in place January 2018.

Discussion loading… ✨