Skip to main content

The Globe and Mail

XL Foods backtracks on partial staff recall

Cattle look out from their pen on a feedlot near Airdrie, Alta., on Wednesday, Jan. 12, 2005.

JEFF MCINTOSH/THE CANADIAN PRESS

Workers called into the XL Foods plant Wednesday evening were told the next day to stay home, a setback that marks the latest development as the plant continues to prepare to reopen under the eye of federal officials.

The company – in local radio ads and recorded messages – said Wednesday evening some workers from the "A shift" were being called back Thursday morning. The news swamped the company's phone lines. Those from the "B shift," which starts at 4 p.m., were told to check back after 11 a.m. local time Thursday.

On Thursday morning, though, the message had changed – they now weren't needed Thursday after all, but may be needed Friday.

Story continues below advertisement

The staff initially called in worked in the "production" area, which handles carcasses that have already been killed, cleaned and cooled. Those who work on the slaughter floor weren't recalled.

Since Sept. 27, only maintenance staff (who have been replacing fixtures, such as wall panels and hoses), cleaners and management had been working.

Wednesday evening's partial staff recall was a signal the plant was slowly starting some of its operations to demonstrate its production process under the eye of Canadian Food Inspection Authority investigators. It can only fully reopen with CFIA approval.

Agricultural minister Gerry Ritz responded to a Globe and Mail story Thursday by calling it "false," but didn't address its content. He said only that the plant won't reopen Thursday, though there hadn't been any indication it would.

He didn't say why the staff were initially recalled, or why the company changed its mind Thursday, or why slaughter workers are being told they could be called back as soon as Friday.

A message sent Wednesday to Mr. Ritz's spokeswoman, asking why the workers were being recalled, received no response before the minister's statement.

Several dozen vehicles streamed into the plant Thursday morning, and smoke billowed from the facility. XL Foods hasn't responded to Globe requests to access the slaughterhouse, and ordered a reporter off the property Wednesday.

Story continues below advertisement

Mr. Ritz visited the plant briefly early Wednesday morning, before departing for Calgary and then Ottawa.

Alberta's government has called for the plant to reopen "as soon as possible," as soon as this week.

Report an error Licensing Options
About the Author
Parliamentary reporter

Josh is a parliamentary reporter in Ottawa. Before moving to the nation's capital in 2013, he covered provincial affairs in Edmonton and throughout Alberta. He joined the Globe in 2008 in Toronto before returning to his home province in 2010. More

Comments

The Globe invites you to share your views. Please stay on topic and be respectful to everyone. For more information on our commenting policies and how our community-based moderation works, please read our Community Guidelines and our Terms and Conditions.

Please note that our commenting partner Civil Comments is closing down. As such we will be implementing a new commenting partner in the coming weeks. As of December 20th, 2017 we will be shutting down commenting on all article pages across our site while we do the maintenance and updates. We understand that commenting is important to our audience and hope to have a technical solution in place January 2018.

Discussion loading… ✨