Toronto's transit agency is pledging to put accessible streetcars on three routes and update maps at all subway stations, part of a long list of commitments in this year's customer service charter.
There are 38 promises in the 2015 charter, though some of them have been announced before. In a statement, TTC chair Josh Colle called the charter "our commitment to riders."
Among the specific promises are next-train arrival times available online and extending WiFi service to all Yonge-University subway stations at Bloor or below.
The commitments are grouped into themes around accessibility, cleanliness, being informative, modernizing and renewing the system and being responsive. There are also more overarching goals that speak to the the safety, reliability and transparency of the service as a whole.
THE 38 PROMISES
1. Your streetcar, bus or subway service will be reliable and on time. Our success will be measured through our daily and monthly scorecards to make sure our performance will be better than last year.
2. We know that the accessibility of our service is the difference between being able to travel or not for many of our customers. We will continue to make our services as accessible as possible. We will make sure the ramps and stop announcements on our vehicles are working properly.
3. We won't hide from our mistakes. If there are problems with our service, we will be clear about what happened – and what we are doing to fix it. We will do our best to communicate clearly with our customers, local business and communities in the event of any planned or unplanned events.
4. Nothing is more important than your safety. We will make sure you feel safe and secure while riding on our vehicles or while you are in our stations or sharing the road.
In the first quarter of 2015
5. We will install the redesigned TTC system maps at all subway stations and transit shelters. We have redesigned our system map to make it easier for customers to read. This includes identifying different services more readily, showing bus and streetcar routes more clearly, and reducing clutter.
6. We will make next train arrival times available on our website to keep you informed and up to date about our subway service.
7. The Line 1 "U" from St George to Bloor-Yonge will be Wi-Fi enabled.
8. With community group input, we will finalize the location of the second exit at Chester Station.
9. All door boarding on 504 King Streetcar will begin making it easier for you to board the vehicle and speed up your journey time.
10. We will promote the low cost and convenience of the 192 Airport Rocket with a bus wrap and in-system advertising.
In the second quarter
11. To make the priority seats easier to identify, we are changing their colour to blue. The new blue priority seats will be installed on 40 per cent of our vehicles by the end of Q2.
12. We will complete a spring cleaning of every station. Pressure washing of walls, floors and pillars at all bus bays, subway stations, passenger pick-up locations, station entrances and train platforms will take place. Attention will also be given to gum removal, graffiti, station signage, telephones, benches, trash containers, elevators and stairs.
13. A new easy-to-follow map of the TTC's streetcar network will be installed on all streetcars to help you find your way.
14. Union Station's newly renovated platform and concourse will open to the public. It will include a new elevator, escalators and improves customer flow to reduce overcrowding.
15. All collector booths will accept debit and credit contactless payment for a single ride. This will make paying your fare easier than ever before.
16. To help families travel with ease, we will pilot a Family Pass for smart phones during the Pan Am / Parapan Am games.
17. Proof of Payment (POP) and all door boarding will be implemented on 50 per cent of our streetcar routes.
18. On line 1 and 2, we will put into service two additional subway trains each during peak hours to reduce crowding and increase service.
In the third quarter
19. We will complete an overhaul of the street level elevator at Dundas West Station and restore service in the third quarter.
20. Construction will begin on the Easier Access project at Royal York Station. When completed in 2017, improvements will include elevators to all levels, an accessible fare gate, automatic sliding doors and improved signage.
21. We will install bike repair stands at 10 stations to encourage cycling as part of your commute.
22. All TTC drivers and station staff will be wearing the new, modern TTC uniform.
23. We will provide excellent service during the Pan Am / Parapan Am games through increased levels of service and more customer service staff to support all customers.
In the fourth quarter
24. Blue priority seats will be installed on 90 per cent of our vehicles by the end of Q4.
25. We will complete an overhaul of the street level elevator at the passenger pick up/ drop off (PPUDO) at Finch Station and restore service in the fourth quarter.
26. Construction will begin on the Easier Access project at Dupont Station. When completed 2017, improvements will include elevators to all levels, an accessible fare gate, automatic sliding doors and improved signage.
27. We will complete a fall cleaning of every station. Pressure washing of walls, floors and pillars at all bus bays, subway stations, passenger pick-up locations, station entrances and train platforms will again take place. attention will also be given to gum removal, graffiti, station signage, telephones, benches, trash containers, elevators and stairs.
28. We will complete the reconditioning of 10 station floors and baseboards to a polished finish.
29. We will install 50 platform video screens, next vehicle arrival screens and station information screens in 20 stations. We will also install 40 LED next vehicle arrival displays in 20 Bus/Streetcar bays.
30. We will upgrade speakers in seven subway stations: Yonge & Bloor, Spadina, Kennedy, Wilson, St. Clair West, Glencairn and Lawrence West. This will make public address announcements much easier to hear and understand.
31. We will add PRESTO to 10 subway stations.
32. All streetcars will have PRESTO devices installed at their front doors.
33. 510 Spadina, 511 Bathurst and 509 Harbourfront will have all new streetcars and will include new features such as PRESTO devices, accessible low floors, all door boarding and air-conditioning.
34. We will enhance the new Toronto Rocket subway trains by installing low-ceiling handholds and exterior door chimes.
35. We will improve lighting inside 74 Subway trains through the replacement of fluorescent with energy efficient LED lighting.
36. We will replace/repair wall tiles at four subway stations, stair tiles at four subway stations and floor tiles at five subway stations.
37. All of our streetcar routes will go Proof of Payment (POP) and have all door boarding.
38. There will be 5 per cent fewer delays (incidents and minutes) on the subway compared to 2014. This is part of our commitment to reduce delays by 50 per cent over the next 5 years.