Go to the Globe and Mail homepage

Jump to main navigationJump to main content


Captured Toronto suspect faces numerous charges after manhunt Add to ...

A man police considered “armed and dangerous” is facing a slew of charges after being arrested early Friday.

Nicholas Dillion-Jack, 18, was wanted in connection with a stabbing and mugging in the downtown area and an east-end home invasion and pistol-whipping. A sighting Thursday had sparked a major police operation that lead to heightened safety procedures at 15 schools.

“Thanks to everyone who shared information in hopes of getting him off the streets,” Toronto Police said Friday in a short statement after the arrest. No further details were immediately available.

Mr. Dillion-Jack is facing several charges, including aggravated assault, weapons dangerous, robbery while armed with a firearm and threatening death.

Published reports late Thursday said that Mr. Dillion-Jack may have a connection to the Sic Thugs, the Regent Park gang believed connected with the fatal Eaton Centre shooting last weekend.

Mr. Dillion-Jack, of no fixed address, was wanted initially for a stabbing in Kensington market. Police say that a mid-afternoon altercation on May 23 at a drop-in centre left a 17-year-old man with life-threatening injuries. The suspect fled and is alleged, moments later, to have taken a man’s cellphone at gunpoint.

Police subsequently alleged that Mr. Dillion-Jack was involved in an earlier incident in Regent Park. On February 27, police allege, he forced his way into an apartment, threatening and striking a victim with a handgun.

On Thursday, a major police operation was launched after officers spotted the suspect on the street, in the Woodbine area, and chased him on foot but lost him, said Constable Tony Vella.

The manhunt Thursday prompted staff at 15 schools in Scarborough and the Beaches to enter into hold-and-secure mode as several local streets were cordoned off. Unlike lockdown situations, where there is a direct threat to students, in hold-and-secure the school buildings are locked but activities inside proceed normally because there is no imminent danger.

“There is police activity in a neighbouring area. The children are safely in their classrooms and we will be having indoor recess,” said one notice e-mailed to parents.

A perimeter was set up in the area but was lifted by about 2:15 p.m. on Thursday when it was clear Mr. Dillion-Jack was no longer in the area. Shortly after, the Toronto District School Board said its schools would return to normal.

With files from Tu Thanh Ha and Carys Mills

Report Typo/Error

Follow on Twitter: @moore_oliver

Next story




Most popular videos »

More from The Globe and Mail

Most popular