Skip to main content

A 20-year-old Toronto man was charged with second-degree murder Sunday, a few hours after the body of a man in his 20s was found in a ditch near a major Scarborough intersection.

The identity of the victim was not immediately released, pending notification of kin, and beyond saying he died of injuries to the chest, police did not provide a cause of death.

Media reports from the scene, however, suggested the man had been stabbed.

The killing raises the city's homicide total so far this year to 31.

Zishan Malik was arrested and charged at the 42 Division police station at around 11.30 a.m., indicating he walked in and surrendered.

He is to appear in court Monday.

Police responding to a report of an assault in progress at around 2 a.m. discovered the victim's body in a ditch on the west side of McCowan Road, near the on-ramp to Highway 401. He sustained "apparent injuries to the chest," according to a police statement, and was pronounced dead at the scene.

The killing occurred during a weekend in which four other people sustained injuries in three separate shooting incidents.

A 31-year-old man remained in critical condition after being shot in the head on Driftwood Court near Jane Street and Finch Avenue West just before 10 p.m. Friday.

Around midnight Saturday, police found two men in a car punctured with bullet holes near Jane Street and Bloor Street West in Toronto's upscale Swansea neighbourhood.

The first victim, a 19-year-old man, was shot in the leg. A 21-year-old man had suffered a gunshot wound to the arm.

In Scarborough, a man was rushed to hospital after he was shot several times near Kennedy and Ellesmere Roads around 4 a.m. Saturday. His injuries were non-life-threatening.

In addition, a man was stabbed to death early Sunday at a plaza in Vaughan, just north of Toronto.

Police say he was killed when a fight broke out among a group of people around 3 a.m. near highways 7 and 27.

No arrests have been made in that incident.

Staff Sgt. Jim MacSween said the York Regional Police homicide unit had not notified the victim's family and was not yet releasing further information.