Skip to main content

The Globe and Mail

One hurt in Toronto highrise fire at site of massive 2010 blaze

The apartment complex at 200 Wellesley St. E was the site of a massive fire in September, 2010, that forced the evacuation of about 1,700 residents.


At least one person has been injured in a fire in a Toronto highrise.

Officials say the fire began on the 19th floor of the apartment building at 200 Wellesley St. E near Sherbourne Street just after 7 a.m. on Monday.

There's no immediate word on the condition of the person injured or what the injuries were but fire officials say the hallways were filled with heavy smoke.

Story continues below advertisement

The fire was brought under control by 7:35 a.m.

A massive fire at the same Toronto Community Housing building in September, 2010, forced the evacuation of about 1,700 residents, many of whom had special needs.

The 2010 fire started after a discarded cigarette landed on a 24th floor balcony filled with papers and other items. Neighbours said the unit was occupied by a hoarder.

Report an error

The Globe invites you to share your views. Please stay on topic and be respectful to everyone. For more information on our commenting policies and how our community-based moderation works, please read our Community Guidelines and our Terms and Conditions.

Please note that our commenting partner Civil Comments is closing down. As such we will be implementing a new commenting partner in the coming weeks. As of December 20th, 2017 we will be shutting down commenting on all article pages across our site while we do the maintenance and updates. We understand that commenting is important to our audience and hope to have a technical solution in place January 2018.

Discussion loading… ✨