Skip to main content
Canada’s most-awarded newsroom for a reason
Enjoy unlimited digital access
$1.99
per week
for 24 weeks
Canada’s most-awarded newsroom for a reason
$1.99
per week
for 24 weeks
// //

Ontario Premier Dalton McGuinty hosted a meeting at Queen's Park in Toronto on July 23, 2012 to discuss the issue of gun violence. Attending this 'Guns Summit' with Mr. McGuinty are Toronto Mayor Rob Ford, centre, and  Toronto Police Chief Bill Blair, right.

Peter Power/The Globe and Mail

The Ontario government is pledging millions of dollars to combat a recent spate of gun violence in Toronto, but none of the new funding is earmarked for more police officers.

Premier Dalton McGuinty said on Monday that if Toronto Mayor Rob Ford thinks the answer to getting guns and gangs off the street is hiring more police, then the city can "dig a little deeper" and foot the bill.

The province is making funding permanent for two programs that were slated to end this year. The Toronto Anti-Violence Intervention Strategy (TAVIS), which sends police into priority neighbourhoods to seize guns, make arrests and build connections with locals, will continue to receive $5-million a year. A similar provincewide program will receive $7.5-million a year.

Story continues below advertisement

Last Monday's brazen shooting at a community barbecue in Toronto's east end that left two people dead and 23 injured has prompted the cash-strapped government to continue funding the two programs, even though Mr. McGuinty said he is not sure where he will find the money.

"When communities have their confidence shaken, when children and young people are victims of violence, I think we've got to give these kinds of things a rethink," he told reporters following a meeting with Mr. Ford and Police Chief Bill Blair.

The meeting took place the same day as the funeral for one of the victims killed by crossfire at the Danzig Street barbecue in Scarborough, the largest mass shooting in Toronto's history. Joshua Yasay, 23, had recently graduated from York University with a bachelor's degree in criminology and aspired to be a police officer. He spent much of his spare time coaching basketball for at-risk youth, trying to stem the kind of violence that led to his own death.

The shooting has prompted Mr. McGuinty to call on all three levels of government to examine whether growing population density in many Canadian cities is creating a breeding ground for guns and gangs. He plans to discuss the matter with Prime Minister Stephen Harper on Tuesday, when the two will be in Oshawa for an auto event. Mr. Ford also plans to meet separately with Mr. Harper on Tuesday at a police station in Scarborough.

Mr. McGuinty and Mr. Ford went into their meeting with competing visions on how best to address a spate of fatal shootings that have rocked Toronto this summer. Mr. Ford spent much of last week calling on Mr. McGuinty to hire more police officers. Mr. McGuinty criticized the mayor for not embracing more social programs that reach out to young people.

Mr. McGuinty said the province needs effective measures to tackle gun violence. His government is also providing funding of $500,000 for community programs that reach out to young people – money that will be redirected from other areas.

Mr. Ford has said he does not believe what he called "hug-a-thug" programs curb gun crime. Earlier this month, Mr. Ford cast the lone vote at council against more than 300 grants worth $16-million, some which flow to priority neighbourhoods. In June, he was the only member of council to vote against accepting $350,000 in federal money for an anti-gang program.

Story continues below advertisement

Even though he did not get everything he asked for at the meeting, Mr. Ford emerged smiling, saying the funding for TAVIS is a "huge victory." The program, which has four teams with 18 officers each, is doing a "fantastic job" of getting guns and gangs off the street, he told reporters.

"The Premier said he is going to continue funding TAVIS. That is exactly what I asked for and that is what I got," he said.

Mr. Ford did not have an opportunity to respond to Mr. McGuinty's assertion that the city should pay for new police officers. An adviser to Mr. Ford said the city is already spending $1.2-billion annually on policing.

Mr. Ford and Mr. McGuinty both plan to press Mr. Harper for additional funding.

"Perhaps the federal government will decide they're going to have to dig a little bit deeper on behalf of all Canadian taxpayers," Mr. McGuinty said. "It seems to me the mayor of the City of Toronto and the council itself, in fairness, should dig a little deeper and bring something to the table."

New Democratic Party MPP Jonah Schein and Toronto Councillor Adam Vaughan said the TAVIS program is only part of the solution.

Story continues below advertisement

"This doesn't put a single new police officer on the streets," said Mr. Vaughan, a critic of the mayor and former member of the police board. "The mayor claiming victory today is a joke."

Your Globe

Build your personal news feed

  1. Follow topics and authors relevant to your reading interests.
  2. Check your Following feed daily, and never miss an article. Access your Following feed from your account menu at the top right corner of every page.

Follow the authors of this article:

View more suggestions in Following Read more about following topics and authors
Report an error Editorial code of conduct
Due to technical reasons, we have temporarily removed commenting from our articles. We hope to have this fixed soon. Thank you for your patience. If you are looking to give feedback on our new site, please send it along to feedback@globeandmail.com. If you want to write a letter to the editor, please forward to letters@globeandmail.com.

Welcome to The Globe and Mail’s comment community. This is a space where subscribers can engage with each other and Globe staff. Non-subscribers can read and sort comments but will not be able to engage with them in any way. Click here to subscribe.

If you would like to write a letter to the editor, please forward it to letters@globeandmail.com. Readers can also interact with The Globe on Facebook and Twitter .

Welcome to The Globe and Mail’s comment community. This is a space where subscribers can engage with each other and Globe staff. Non-subscribers can read and sort comments but will not be able to engage with them in any way. Click here to subscribe.

If you would like to write a letter to the editor, please forward it to letters@globeandmail.com. Readers can also interact with The Globe on Facebook and Twitter .

Welcome to The Globe and Mail’s comment community. This is a space where subscribers can engage with each other and Globe staff.

We aim to create a safe and valuable space for discussion and debate. That means:

  • Treat others as you wish to be treated
  • Criticize ideas, not people
  • Stay on topic
  • Avoid the use of toxic and offensive language
  • Flag bad behaviour

If you do not see your comment posted immediately, it is being reviewed by the moderation team and may appear shortly, generally within an hour.

We aim to have all comments reviewed in a timely manner.

Comments that violate our community guidelines will not be posted.

UPDATED: Read our community guidelines here

Discussion loading ...

To view this site properly, enable cookies in your browser. Read our privacy policy to learn more.
How to enable cookies