Skip to main content

Toronto Police released images of suspects allegedly involved in vandalism and other crimes during the G20 protests in Toronto.

Toronto police have arrested two more of their most wanted suspects from last month's violent G20 protests.

Cody Caplette, 21, and Philip Lee, 28, both of Toronto, were arrested and charged on Thursday.

Mr. Caplette has been charged with mischief over $5,000 related to the torching of a police car, and threatening a justice system participant. Mr. Lee was charged with seven offences, including assault, mischief and theft. Police allege he also damaged a police car, stole police equipment, and assaulted a member of the public.

Mr. Caplette appeared in the "most wanted" poster released by police Wednesday; in it, he's wearing a Blue Jays baseball hat and a blue shirt. Mr. Lee's photo was never released to the public. He was identified by another member of the police force.

The poster, released Wednesday, contained images of 10 men wanted by police. A number of the images were culled from closed-circuit cameras across the city and submitted by the public. Some of the photos were also taken by undercover police officers. Police are sifting through 14,000 images in total.

Detective-Sergeant Gary Giroux says the G20 investigative team plans to release more photos by next Wednesday. Det. Giroux said police will turn to facial recognition software once all other leads have been exhausted, and mainly for masked vandals. "we're very busy in the traditional policing sense," he said.

Police say tips from the public have been pouring in since they released photos of suspects earlier this week.

On Saturday, June 26, as world leaders sat ensconced in the Metro Convention Centre discussing global issues, what began as a peaceful protest turned violent as it moved further south. A small group of demonstrators set police cruisers aflame and vandalized shops on Queen Street.

Eventually, a group of black-clad protesters moved up Yonge Street ransacking businesses and banks until riot police moved in near Queen's Park, where the protest had begun hours earlier.

Toronto Police assembled a G20 team to investigate those events and others that occurred over the fraught weekend.

Police also set up an independent civilian review of police tactics after civil liberties groups and others filed complaints regarding the use of force on peaceful protesters. The Canadian Civil Liberties Assocation also decried the use of facial identification technology involved in trying to ascertain the identities of those in the poster.

With a report from The Canadian Press