On January 1, 1947, the voters of Toronto decided that the city should undertake Canada's first redevelopment project. Regent Park rose from the rubble of what was once the south part of Cabbagetown. During the 1930's, south Cabbagetown was one of Toronto's worst slums and was targeted by Toronto city planners for a grand urban renewal. Regent Park was expanded in the 1950's to include the area south of Gerrard street, which came to be known as Regent Park South. Housing units ranged in size from bachelor suites to five-bedroom, semi-detached houses.