An 18-year-old man faces charges in connection with a police investigation into a shooting at a Scarborough barbeque last month that killed two people and injured 23 others.
The alleged threats were made to people attending the barbeque on Danzig Street in the city’s east end, Constable Wendy Drummond said. The community event erupted in chaos on July 16 when at least two people began firing into the crowd.
Const. Drummond said police have no evidence suggesting the man was present at the block party at the time of the shootings.
She said he was allegedly carrying a gun when he was arrested, but added, “We do not have information at this time to suggest that the firearm ... was used during the Danzig shooting.”
Shaquan Mesquito is charged with uttering threats and several gun-related offences. He appeared in court on Wednesday.
He is the second person to be charged in connection with the Scarborough shooting investigation. Nahom Tsegazab, 19, was charged last month with reckless discharge of a firearm.
Const. Drummond said police continue to investigate and urged anyone with information on the shooting to come forward.
“The investigation is very much ongoing and we really need information,” she said. “We know there are people out there that have the information we need.”Report Typo/Error