Skip to main content

The Globe and Mail

TTC drafts backup plan for Scarborough LRT line

TTC chief executive officer Andy Byford said the transit authority is ‘mindful of politics and the potential change’ surrounding plans for a Scarborough subway line.

DEBORAH BAIC/THE GLOBE AND MAIL

The TTC is trying to restrict its subway preparations in Scarborough to work that could also be applied to a light rail line, a recognition that transit for the area remains uncertain.

The acknowledgment by TTC chief Andy Byford sparked an immediate furor at city hall, coming amid a municipal election race in which transportation promises to be the hottest topic. Among the issues under dispute is whether the current plan for a subway extension in Scarborough should be continued or revoked in favour of the earlier LRT plan.

Mr. Byford stressed that his transit service is proceeding under the direction given by council for a subway but said that they are keeping their options open.

Story continues below advertisement

"What we're trying to avoid is wasted money, okay," Mr. Byford said Wednesday before the monthly meeting of the TTC board.

"So whether it were an LRT or a subway, there's certain things that you would have to do anyway by way of preparatory work. So, given the potential uncertainty in the runup to a mayoral election, we're trying to limit work to that which would have to be done for either mode."

Subway opponents continue to argue that light rail is the better and most cost-effective way to serve Scarborough. They have won the support of mayoral candidates Olivia Chow and David Soknacki. But three other leading contenders – Mayor Rob Ford, Karen Stintz and John Tory – insist the current plan must be heeded.

Mr. Ford, long a champion of subways and an outspoken opponent of surface rail, reacted sharply to Mr. Byford's comments Wednesday.

"Council has approved the subway going to Scarborough," he said. "No LRTs are going to go to Scarborough. Period. This is a done deal."

Mr. Ford also took the opportunity to begin explaining how he would pay for his transit platform, which has an extension to the Sheppard subway at the top of his list. He said this would be funded through a 0.25-per-cent property-tax increase. This would raise an estimated $5-million per year. A subway could be expected to cost about $300-million per kilometre and Mr. Ford acknowledged that further funding would need to be found.

"You need the province to get on board," he said. "You need the federal government to get on board … and you need the three Ps [public-private partnership], we've got to get the private sector involved."

Story continues below advertisement

Rapid transit in Toronto's east end has consumed an enormous amount of political oxygen in the past year. After much debate, city council in October narrowly backed a short subway extension in Scarborough instead of an LRT funded by the province. The subway's higher price tag would be met by diverting some of the provincial money, through a federal contribution and with $1-billion raised in Toronto via higher property taxes.

A spokeswoman for Metrolinx confirmed Wednesday, though, that the original contract specifying an LRT in Scarborough has not yet been replaced by one calling for a subway.

"We have met with city and TTC to discuss changes to [the] Master Agreement but have not concluded these changes and signed any amendments yet," Anne Marie Aikins said in an e-mail. Asked whether it would be finalized before the election, she said there was no timeframe at present.

Deputy Mayor Norm Kelly, who assumed much of Mr. Ford's power last year, acknowledged that the issue is not settled.

"I would hope that, in the end, that the subway would be the choice" he said. "It`s going to be up to the electorate and, I guess, the next mayor to direct that conversation. But … as long as whatever work is being done doesn't detract from a subway, that's fine."

Mr. Byford said they were not "holding back" on the Scarborough project but that they could not ignore that its future could be in flux. "Obviously we are mindful of politics and the potential change," he said.

Story continues below advertisement

Report an error Licensing Options
About the Author

Oliver Moore joined the Globe and Mail's web newsroom in 2000 as an editor and then moved into reporting. A native Torontonian, he served four years as Atlantic Bureau Chief and has worked also in Afghanistan, Grenada, France, Spain and the United States. More

Comments

The Globe invites you to share your views. Please stay on topic and be respectful to everyone. For more information on our commenting policies and how our community-based moderation works, please read our Community Guidelines and our Terms and Conditions.

Please note that our commenting partner Civil Comments is closing down. As such we will be implementing a new commenting partner in the coming weeks. As of December 20th, 2017 we will be shutting down commenting on all article pages across our site while we do the maintenance and updates. We understand that commenting is important to our audience and hope to have a technical solution in place January 2018.

Discussion loading… ✨