Skip to main content

Mother Sahar Bahadi is comforted as she sits next to sister Sarah Yatim at a vigil on Monday, July 29, 2013 at the spot where son and brother Sammy Yatim was shot nine times and killed by Police early Saturday morning in Toronto.

Michelle Siu/THE CANADIAN PRESS

The family of a young Toronto man fatally shot in an altercation with Toronto police has cancelled a news conference that had been scheduled for this afternoon.

In a statement to the media late Tuesday, Sammy Yatim`s family said they "do not have the energy right now to comment" and that they are "trying to heal and regain some sense of normalcy."

Earlier Tuesday, Constable James Forcillo was charged with second-degree murder in Yatim's death, then released on $510,000 bail.

Story continues below advertisement

Forcillo, 30, appeared in court after surrendering to authorities on an arrest warrant that was issued on Monday before after Ontario's Special Investigations Unit pressed charges.

Yatim's family said they were relieved by the charge, but hope the SIU will look into the actions of the supervising officers and other officers who were on scene.

Yatim was shot multiple times and Tasered on an empty streetcar last month. It was captured on surveillance and cellphone video on which nine shots can be heard following shouts for him to drop a knife.

Report an error
Due to technical reasons, we have temporarily removed commenting from our articles. We hope to have this fixed soon. Thank you for your patience. If you are looking to give feedback on our new site, please send it along to feedback@globeandmail.com. If you want to write a letter to the editor, please forward to letters@globeandmail.com.
Comments are closed

We have closed comments on this story for legal reasons or for abuse. For more information on our commenting policies and how our community-based moderation works, please read our Community Guidelines and our Terms and Conditions.

Cannabis pro newsletter