Skip to main content

A rebel fighter smiles as he waits for his convoy to move out after refuelling at a staging post on the western outskirts of Ajdabiyah

Andrew Winning/Reuters



Libya's rebels will agree to a ceasefire if Moammar Gadhafi pulls his military forces out of cities and allows peaceful protests against his regime, an opposition leader said Friday.

Mustafa Abdul-Jalil, head of the opposition's interim governing council based in Benghazi, spoke during a joint press conference with UN envoy Abdelilah Al-Khatib. Mr. Al-Khatib is visiting the rebels' de-facto stronghold of Benghazi in hopes of reaching a political solution to the crisis embroiling the North African nation.

Mr. Abdul-Jalil said the rebels' condition for a ceasefire is "that the Gadhafi brigades and forces withdraw from inside and outside Libyan cities to give freedom to the Libyan people to choose and the world will see that they will choose freedom."

Story continues below advertisement

The UN resolution that authorized international airstrikes against Libya called for Mr. Gadhafi and the rebels to end hostilities. Mr. Gadhafi announced a ceasefire immediately but has shown no sign of heeding it. His forces continue to attack rebels in the east, where the opposition in strongest, and have besieged the only major rebel-held city in the west, Misrata.

Mr. Abdul-Jalil said the regime must withdraw its forces and lift all sieges.

He stressed the ultimate goal was Mr. Gadhafi's ouster.

"Our aim is to liberate and have sovereignty over all of Libya with its capital in Tripoli," he said.

The UN said Mr. Al-Khatib, arrived Thursday in Tripoli.

Forces loyal to Libya's leader of nearly 42 years spent much of this week pushing the rebels back about 160 kilometers along the coast, and the opposition was trying to regroup. The rebels had mortars Friday, weapons they previously appeared to have lacked, and on Thursday night they drove in a convoy with at least eight rocket launchers - more artillery than usual.

The rebels also appeared to have more communication equipment such as radios and satellite phones, and were working in more organized units, in which military defectors were each leading six or seven volunteers.

Story continues below advertisement

The rebels' losses this week, and others before airstrikes began March 19, underlined that their equipment, training and organization were far inferior to those of Gadhafi's forces. The recent changes appear to be an attempt to correct, or at least ease, the imbalance.

In another change, rebels were holding journalists back at the western gate of Ajdabiya, far from the fighting. It was unclear where the front line was Friday, but on Thursday had moved into Brega, about 80 kilometers east of Ajdabiya, before Mr. Gadhafi's forces pushed them out.

Mr. Gadhafi's greatest losses this week were not military but political. Two members of his inner circle, including his foreign minister, abandoned him Wednesday and Thursday, setting off speculation about other officials who may be next. The defections could sway people who have stuck with Gadhafi despite the uprising that began Feb. 15 and the international airstrikes aimed at keeping the autocrat from attacking his own people.

Libyan state TV aired a phone interview with intelligence chief Bouzeid Dorda to knock down rumours that he also left Mr. Gadhafi.

"I am in Libya and will remain here steadfast in the same camp of the revolution despite everything," Mr. Dorda said. "I never thought to cross the borders or violate commitment to the people, the revolution and the leader."

Mr. Gadhafi struck a defiant stance in a statement Thursday, saying he's not the one who should go - it's the Western leaders who attacking his military with airstrikes who should resign immediately. Mr. Gadhafi's message was undercut by its delivery - a scroll across the bottom of state TV as he remained out of sight.

Story continues below advertisement

The White House said the strongman's inner circle was clearly crumbling with the loss of Foreign Minister Moussa Koussa, who flew from Tunisia to England on Wednesday. Mr. Koussa is privy to all the inner workings of the regime, so his departure could open the door for some hard intelligence, though Britain refused to offer him immunity from prosecution.

Ali Abdessalam Treki, a former foreign minister and UN General Assembly president, announced his departure on several opposition websites the next day, saying "It is our nation's right to live in freedom and democracy and enjoy a good life."

Mr. Gadhafi accused the leaders of the countries attacking his forces of being "affected by power madness."

"The solution for this problem is that they resign immediately and their peoples find alternatives to them," the Libya state news agency quoted him as saying.

The U.S. has ruled out using ground troops in Libya but it is considering providing arms to the rebels.

U.S. Defense Secretary Robert Gates, however, told Congress on Thursday that the United States still knows little about the rebels, and that if anyone arms and trains them it should be some other country.

Story continues below advertisement

Asked by a lawmaker whether U.S. involvement might inevitably mean "boots on the ground" in Libya, Gates replied, "Not as long as I am in this job."

NATO is among those saying a new U.N. resolution would be required to arm rebels, though Britain and the U.S. disagree. Several world leaders oppose arming rebels, including Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan, who said in London that it could "create an environment which could be conducive to terrorism."

Report an error
Due to technical reasons, we have temporarily removed commenting from our articles. We hope to have this fixed soon. Thank you for your patience. If you are looking to give feedback on our new site, please send it along to feedback@globeandmail.com. If you want to write a letter to the editor, please forward to letters@globeandmail.com.

Welcome to The Globe and Mail’s comment community. This is a space where subscribers can engage with each other and Globe staff. Non-subscribers can read and sort comments but will not be able to engage with them in any way. Click here to subscribe.

If you would like to write a letter to the editor, please forward it to letters@globeandmail.com. Readers can also interact with The Globe on Facebook and Twitter .

Welcome to The Globe and Mail’s comment community. This is a space where subscribers can engage with each other and Globe staff. Non-subscribers can read and sort comments but will not be able to engage with them in any way. Click here to subscribe.

If you would like to write a letter to the editor, please forward it to letters@globeandmail.com. Readers can also interact with The Globe on Facebook and Twitter .

Welcome to The Globe and Mail’s comment community. This is a space where subscribers can engage with each other and Globe staff.

We aim to create a safe and valuable space for discussion and debate. That means:

  • Treat others as you wish to be treated
  • Criticize ideas, not people
  • Stay on topic
  • Avoid the use of toxic and offensive language
  • Flag bad behaviour

Comments that violate our community guidelines will be removed.

Read our community guidelines here

Discussion loading ...

Cannabis pro newsletter