Skip to main content

World U.S. military admits to breaking closed gate of bombed Afghan hospital

The charred remains of the Doctors Without Borders hospital is seen after it was hit by a U.S. airstrike in Kunduz, Afghanistan.

Najim Rahim/AP

The U.S. military acknowledged Monday that an armoured vehicle carrying U.S. personnel deliberately crashed through the closed gate of the compound in northern Afghanistan where 22 people had been killed two weeks ago in a U.S. air attack on a hospital run by Médecins sans frontières (Doctors Without Borders).

Navy Captain Jeff Davis, a Pentagon spokesman, said the Afghan armoured vehicle with U.S. personnel inside drove through the gate last Thursday to gain access to the compound, believing incorrectly that no MSF personnel were present.

Capt. Davis said the visit was to assess the "structural integrity" of the building damaged in the Oct. 3 attack by a U.S. Air Force AC-130 gunship. The visit last week was part of a process to determine whether to pay a damage claim, he said.

Story continues below advertisement

"They forced the gate open," Capt. Davis said. "They drove into it with their vehicle."

"They did it. They shouldn't have," Capt. Davis added. "They should have co-ordinated ahead of time, and they're going to make it right and make sure that that gate is repaired."

The spokesman said MSF personnel were present at the time and "were understandably not happy that we had broken in."

In explaining the rationale for driving through the closed gate, Capt. Davis said that on a previous visit to the compound, after the Oct. 3 attack, there had been "active combat in the area– shelling and shooting," and so this time, "in the interest of safety" they did not stop to open the gate, believing no MSF workers were there.

The incident violated an agreement with investigators that MSF would be given advance notice of such visits.

"Their unannounced and forced entry damaged property, destroyed potential evidence and caused stress and fear," the charity group said in a statement last week.

Capt. Davis also said that by midweek a "casualty assessment team" report on the Oct. 3 attack is likely to be released in Kabul. He said it is intended to answer only the narrow question of whether there were civilian casualties and, if so, whether they were caused by the U.S. air attack. He said this report would not examine details such as who is to blame for what the U.S. military has called a mistaken attack on the hospital. Details such as that are to be determined by a separate, in-depth U.S. investigation, a preliminary form of which could be released in a couple of weeks, Capt. Davis said.

Story continues below advertisement

The strike on the trauma hospital in the northern city of Kunduz killed 10 patients and 12 staff. Another two staffers are now presumed dead, the charity group said.

President Barack Obama apologized for the deadly attack, which happened as Afghan forces battled Taliban insurgents who had stormed Kunduz on Sept. 28 and briefly held the city of 300,000, the first provincial capital they have overrun since being forced from power in late 2001.

Capt. Davis said Monday that the city is now largely back in the Afghan government's control.

Report an error
Due to technical reasons, we have temporarily removed commenting from our articles. We hope to have this fixed soon. Thank you for your patience. If you are looking to give feedback on our new site, please send it along to feedback@globeandmail.com. If you want to write a letter to the editor, please forward to letters@globeandmail.com.

Welcome to The Globe and Mail’s comment community. This is a space where subscribers can engage with each other and Globe staff. Non-subscribers can read and sort comments but will not be able to engage with them in any way. Click here to subscribe.

If you would like to write a letter to the editor, please forward it to letters@globeandmail.com. Readers can also interact with The Globe on Facebook and Twitter .

Welcome to The Globe and Mail’s comment community. This is a space where subscribers can engage with each other and Globe staff. Non-subscribers can read and sort comments but will not be able to engage with them in any way. Click here to subscribe.

If you would like to write a letter to the editor, please forward it to letters@globeandmail.com. Readers can also interact with The Globe on Facebook and Twitter .

Welcome to The Globe and Mail’s comment community. This is a space where subscribers can engage with each other and Globe staff.

We aim to create a safe and valuable space for discussion and debate. That means:

  • Treat others as you wish to be treated
  • Criticize ideas, not people
  • Stay on topic
  • Avoid the use of toxic and offensive language
  • Flag bad behaviour

Comments that violate our community guidelines will be removed.

Read our community guidelines here

Discussion loading ...

Cannabis pro newsletter