Skip to main content
Open this photo in gallery:

Prime Minister Mark Carney and his wife Diana Fox Carney are greeted by Commissioner of Nunavut Eva Aariak, Deputy Mayor Harry Flaherty, Chief of Defence Staff Gen. Jennie Carignan and Defence Minister Bill Blair as they arrive in Iqaluit, on March 18.Sean Kilpatrick/The Canadian Press

Canada is partnering with Australia for an early-warning radar system to cover airspace from the U.S. border to the Arctic, with the expectation that it will be operational by 2029.

The system, as the Canadian government has described it, would be used to detect incoming missiles and is being developed as Western militaries grapple with how to respond to advances in Russian and Chinese hypersonic missiles, which can change course in flight, as well as advanced cruise missiles with improved stealth capabilities.

The system will cost $6-billion over 20 years to build and run, money that’s already budgeted to modernize NORAD – the existing joint Canada-U.S. military command to protect and manage the skies over the two countries – which is a priority for the U.S.

Prime Minister Mark Carney announced the Australian partnership Tuesday in Iqaluit after returning from his inaugural trip abroad to demonstrate the strength of Canada’s sovereignty in the face of threats from U.S. President Donald Trump.

“The world is changing. Our adversaries are increasingly emboldened. International institutions and norms that have kept Canada secure are now being called into question,” Mr. Carney said. “The United States’ priorities, once closely aligned with our own, are shifting.”

Canada weighing cutting F-35 jet order to buy alternatives: Carney

Federal officials cautioned that the radar partnership announcement shouldn’t be seen as a politically symbolic move away from using American defence equipment to safeguard this country as Mr. Trump ramps up his rhetoric about Canada.

Two officials who briefed reporters travelling on Mr. Carney’s flight from London to Iqaluit on Monday said talks to develop the system have been under way for two years.

The Globe is not identifying the officials who provided the briefing on the condition they not be named.

The partnership with Australia flows from the fact that the country has been using its over-the-horizon radar system for years, it can be ready to use here quickly and it has a smaller physical footprint. Jindalee Operational Radar Network (JORN) is an over-the-horizon radar (OHR) network operated by the Royal Australian Air Force.

NORAD is in favour of Canada using the Australian system, the officials said.

The radar involves a series of monitoring pillars spread over 1.3 kilometres that will be installed in Southwestern Ontario.

Last year, Canada’s top soldier, General Jennie Carignan, told reporters she estimated Canada had about five years to prepare to meet new long-range threats to the continent from Russia and China. Both countries are developing new hypersonic missiles that can fly five times the speed of sound and change course mid-flight. This means, unlike with ballistic missiles, a targeted country cannot quickly predict where such missiles will land.

As part of Tuesday’s announcement, Mr. Carney revealed that the Department of National Defence will receive an additional $420-million to enable a year-round military presence in the Arctic.

The twin security announcements will be followed by an announcement of $253-million in new support to upgrade power plants in several Northern communities, update housing infrastructure and fund the completion of a hydroelectric facility.

“The announcements today will strengthen Canada’s Arctic security, bolster partnership with our closest Allies, unleash the North’s full economy potential and reaffirm reconciliation efforts with First Nations, Inuit and Métis,” Mr. Carney said in a news release that accompanied the announcement.

“We are strong, united and sovereign.”

Open this photo in gallery:

Canada's Prime Minister Mark Carney shakes hands with Nunavut Premier P.J. Akeeagok in Iqaluit, Nunavut, Canada.Carlos Osorio/Reuters

Mr. Carney travelled to Iqaluit after a trip to London and Paris to meet with British Prime Minister Keir Starmer and French President Emmanuel Macron.

The two meetings on Monday were his first bilateral talks with foreign leaders since Mr. Carney was sworn-in as Prime Minister on Friday and he characterized them as important relationship-building talks to show the world Canada has friends.

That message has felt increasingly necessary as Mr. Trump has stated he’d like to use economic force to turn Canada into the 51st state.

His rhetoric, combined with the trade war he launched with Canada earlier this year, have led to renewed Canadian efforts to diversify away from the U.S. for protection and military procurement.

The funds for the radar project would count toward Canada’s target of spending 2 per cent of GDP on defence, a goal agreed to by all NATO allies.

Canada’s failure to meet that target is a long-standing irritation for Mr. Trump, who sparked a trade war with Canada over his concerns about border security and trade.

During the Liberal leadership race, Mr. Carney pledged to remain on the defence spending track agreed to by former prime minister Justin Trudeau, but hit the 2 per cent of GDP target two years sooner than Mr. Trudeau’s plan of 2032.

Currently, Canada spends about 1.37 per cent of GDP on defence. In dollar terms, spending in 2024-2025 was forecast to be $41-billion, a number set to rise to $57.8-billion by 2029-2030.

Geopolitical analysts have warned for years that Canada’s Arctic sovereignty is at risk owing to a warming climate making the sea more accessible as a transit route.

The potential for new land to open up for development and resource extraction could see foreign countries seek to back investments in those projects that would then give them a stake.

Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre has already pledged to substantially increase Canada’s Arctic military presence if his party forms government.

The next election is expected to be called on Sunday, but Mr. Carney has yet to confirm he plans to go to the polls and not attempt to govern.

When Mr. Trudeau announced his intention to resign in January, he prorogued Parliament to let the leadership race take place and that prorogation ends Monday.

Follow related authors and topics

Authors and topics you follow will be added to your personal news feed in Following.

Interact with The Globe