Skip to main content
The Globe and Mail
Support Quality Journalism.
The Globe and Mail
First Access to Latest
Investment News
Collection of curated
e-books and guides
Inform your decisions via
Globe Investor Tools
Just$1.99
per week
for first 24 weeks

Enjoy unlimited digital access
Enjoy Unlimited Digital Access
Get full access to globeandmail.com
Just $1.99per week for the first 24weeks
Just $1.99per week for the first 24weeks
var select={root:".js-sub-pencil",control:".js-sub-pencil-control",open:"o-sub-pencil--open",closed:"o-sub-pencil--closed"},dom={},allowExpand=!0;function pencilInit(o){var e=arguments.length>1&&void 0!==arguments[1]&&arguments[1];select.root=o,dom.root=document.querySelector(select.root),dom.root&&(dom.control=document.querySelector(select.control),dom.control.addEventListener("click",onToggleClicked),setPanelState(e),window.addEventListener("scroll",onWindowScroll),dom.root.removeAttribute("hidden"))}function isPanelOpen(){return dom.root.classList.contains(select.open)}function setPanelState(o){dom.root.classList[o?"add":"remove"](select.open),dom.root.classList[o?"remove":"add"](select.closed),dom.control.setAttribute("aria-expanded",o)}function onToggleClicked(){var l=!isPanelOpen();setPanelState(l)}function onWindowScroll(){window.requestAnimationFrame(function() {var l=isPanelOpen(),n=0===(document.body.scrollTop||document.documentElement.scrollTop);n||l||!allowExpand?n&&l&&(allowExpand=!0,setPanelState(!1)):(allowExpand=!1,setPanelState(!0))});}pencilInit(".js-sub-pencil",!1); // via darwin-bg var slideIndex = 0; carousel(); function carousel() { var i; var x = document.getElementsByClassName("subs_valueprop"); for (i = 0; i < x.length; i++) { x[i].style.display = "none"; } slideIndex++; if (slideIndex> x.length) { slideIndex = 1; } x[slideIndex - 1].style.display = "block"; setTimeout(carousel, 2500); } //

A 24-year-old man has been charged with assault after a security incident on Monday during the Changing of the Guard parade on Parliament Hill.

Department of National Defence spokesman Daniel Le Bouthillier initially said an incident involving “a man with a knife” happened at 10:15 a.m. during the military ceremony that takes place daily on the lawns in front of the Centre Block during the summer. However, the Parliamentary Protective Service (PPS), which is responsible for security in the Parliamentary precinct, later said the man was not carrying a knife.

“Due to the quick reaction of our soldiers, RCMP and Parliamentary Protective Services, the potential threat was identified and neutralised. No one was injured during this incident,” Mr. Le Bouthillier said in an e-mail.

Story continues below advertisement

“As the matter is currently under investigation by the Ottawa Police Service, any other comments at this point would be inappropriate.”

Police have charged Jesse Mooney, 24, with assault and breach of probation. Ottawa Police said its investigators confirmed that this was an isolated incident.

In a tweet, the PPS said: “Reports of an individual carrying a knife during the incident are inaccurate. A small pocket knife was discovered in proximity to the subject following the arrest. The Ottawa Police Service is investigating.”

Some officials on Parliament Hill were playing down the incident, saying there was no evidence the man tried to attack anyone, but that he caused a disturbance.

Video obtained by Radio-Canada shows multiple officers holding someone down on the east lawn of Parliament Hill.

Ottawa police Chief Charles Bordeleau told reporters on Monday that an investigation is under way.

"I don’t know if the suspect was armed, but I think those are the details that the investigation will determine exactly what took place,” Mr. Bordeleau told the CBC.

Story continues below advertisement

Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan said in a tweet that he had been briefed on the incident. “Relieved that no one was injured. Thank you to all Canadian Armed Forces, RCMP and Parliamentary Protective Services members for your prompt response,” he wrote.

The Changing of the Guard ceremony is a military tradition in Ottawa and has attracted thousands of tourists to Parliament Hill.

On Oct. 22, 2014, House of Commons protection personnel and RCMP officers shot Michael Zehaf-Bibeau after he killed Corporal Nathan Cirillo at the War Memorial and stormed through Parliament’s Centre Block.

Your Globe

Build your personal news feed

  1. Follow topics and authors relevant to your reading interests.
  2. Check your Following feed daily, and never miss an article. Access your Following feed from your account menu at the top right corner of every page.

Follow the author of this article:

View more suggestions in Following Read more about following topics and authors
Report an error Editorial code of conduct
Due to technical reasons, we have temporarily removed commenting from our articles. We hope to have this fixed soon. Thank you for your patience. If you are looking to give feedback on our new site, please send it along to feedback@globeandmail.com. If you want to write a letter to the editor, please forward to letters@globeandmail.com.
Comments are closed

We have closed comments on this story for legal reasons or for abuse. For more information on our commenting policies and how our community-based moderation works, please read our Community Guidelines and our Terms and Conditions.

To view this site properly, enable cookies in your browser. Read our privacy policy to learn more.
How to enable cookies