Skip to main content
Welcome to
super saver spring
offer ends april 20
save over $140
Sale ends in
$0.99
per week for 24 weeks
Welcome to
super saver spring
$0.99
per week for 24 weeks
save over $140
// //

Former chief of defence staff Jonathan Vance sits in the front row during a news conference in Ottawa on June 26, 2020.

Adrian Wyld/The Canadian Press

A parliamentary committee has agreed to hold formal hearings into the Liberal government’s handling of allegations of inappropriate conduct by former defence chief General Jonathan Vance, which are already the subject of a military police investigation.

Members of the House of Commons defence committee voted unanimously on Tuesday in favour of an investigation following a Global News report last week that Gen. Vance allegedly engaged in a continuing relationship with a woman he significantly outranked.

The Global report also alleged the former chief of the defence staff made a sexual comment to a second, much younger, soldier in 2012, before he was appointed commander of the Canadian Armed Forces.

Story continues below advertisement

Gen. Vance has not responded to requests for comment by The Canadian Press and the allegations against him have not been independently verified.

Global says Gen. Vance, whose tenure as defence chief included a substantial focus on eliminating sexual misconduct from the ranks, has acknowledged that he dated the first woman nearly 20 years ago, but said the relationship had evolved over the years and was not sexual.

Global also reported that Gen. Vance said he had no recollection of making a sexual comment to the other junior member, adding if he had made the comment it would have been intended as a joke and that he was prepared to apologize.

The allegations come only weeks after Gen. Vance turned over command of the Canadian Armed Forces following five years in the top job, during which he led the military’s efforts to eliminate sexual misconduct from the ranks.

Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan headlines the list of witnesses who will be called to testify, with Conservatives on the committee indicating they want to hear what the minister knew of the allegations and how he responded to them.

“The thing that is of great concern is that these allegations were presented to the minister of defence, Minister Sajjan,” Conservative defence critic James Bezan told other committee members.

“And we have not gotten any clear answers from the media reporting today on how that information was handled, and whether or not the victims had been talked to and approached and counselling services offered.”

Story continues below advertisement

Multiple sources have told The Canadian Press that the allegations against Gen. Vance were shared with Mr. Sajjan in March, 2018, by then-military ombudsman Gary Walbourne, who resigned from his position a short time later. Those sources are not authorized to discuss the matter publicly.

Mr. Sajjan has not directly addressed the allegations against Gen. Vance, but insisted all proper steps are followed when he receives reports of inappropriate conduct. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has also sidestepped questions.

Committee members spent much of the rest of Tuesday’s meeting wrangling over what other witnesses to call, with NDP defence critic Randall Garrison wanting Alberta Premier Jason Kenney to appear. Mr. Kenney was defence minister when Gen. Vance was named defence chief in 2015.

Committee members agreed to invite Mr. Kenney to testify.

Conservatives also indicated they want to call former clerk of the Privy Council Michael Wernick; Mr. Sajjan’s former chief of staff Zita Astravas, who now works for Public Safety Minister Bill Blair; and Department of National Defence deputy minister Jody Thomas.

The committee’s decision to hold hearings into the allegations against Gen. Vance is in addition to a military police investigation and a promise from Mr. Sajjan to launch a separate review outside the chain of command.

Story continues below advertisement

Mr. Trudeau referred to that independent review, which has yet to be launched, when he was again asked about the allegations against Gen. Vance on Tuesday.

“We are very pleased that there is going to be a review going on to ensure that every step of the way, the right processes were followed,” Mr. Trudeau said during one of his regular COVID-19 updates.

“That’s something that will be looked at right now. But I can assure you that we’ve always taken these very seriously and ensured that those proper steps are followed.”

Committee members indicated they were leery of impeding any police investigation into Gen. Vance’s conduct, while suggesting the study should include a focus on pushing the military to better ensure women in uniform are not subject to sexual misconduct.

“The question of whether adequate efforts have been made to stem sexual harassment and sexual assault in the military is an important question, but one that we already know the answer to,” Mr. Garrison said.

“Progress has stalled at what can only be said, at its most charitable, [as] very low levels.”

Story continues below advertisement

Know what is happening in the halls of power with the day’s top political headlines and commentary as selected by Globe editors (subscribers only). Sign up today.

Your Globe

Build your personal news feed

  1. Follow topics and authors relevant to your reading interests.
  2. Check your Following feed daily, and never miss an article. Access your Following feed from your account menu at the top right corner of every page.

Follow topics related to this article:

View more suggestions in Following Read more about following topics and authors
Report an error
Due to technical reasons, we have temporarily removed commenting from our articles. We hope to have this fixed soon. Thank you for your patience. If you are looking to give feedback on our new site, please send it along to feedback@globeandmail.com. If you want to write a letter to the editor, please forward to letters@globeandmail.com.

Welcome to The Globe and Mail’s comment community. This is a space where subscribers can engage with each other and Globe staff. Non-subscribers can read and sort comments but will not be able to engage with them in any way. Click here to subscribe.

If you would like to write a letter to the editor, please forward it to letters@globeandmail.com. Readers can also interact with The Globe on Facebook and Twitter .

Welcome to The Globe and Mail’s comment community. This is a space where subscribers can engage with each other and Globe staff. Non-subscribers can read and sort comments but will not be able to engage with them in any way. Click here to subscribe.

If you would like to write a letter to the editor, please forward it to letters@globeandmail.com. Readers can also interact with The Globe on Facebook and Twitter .

Welcome to The Globe and Mail’s comment community. This is a space where subscribers can engage with each other and Globe staff.

We aim to create a safe and valuable space for discussion and debate. That means:

  • Treat others as you wish to be treated
  • Criticize ideas, not people
  • Stay on topic
  • Avoid the use of toxic and offensive language
  • Flag bad behaviour

If you do not see your comment posted immediately, it is being reviewed by the moderation team and may appear shortly, generally within an hour.

We aim to have all comments reviewed in a timely manner.

Comments that violate our community guidelines will not be posted.

UPDATED: Read our community guidelines here

Discussion loading ...

To view this site properly, enable cookies in your browser. Read our privacy policy to learn more.
How to enable cookies