A woman who alleges she was raped at age 15 while being transported to a residential school has had her settlement claim rejected for a fourth time – a case New Democrat MP Charlie Angus says highlights major gaps in the settlement agreement for survivors.
The woman, whose identity is protected by the process, alleges in 1971 a man who worked as a guidance counsellor for the federal Department of Indian Affairs Department, as it was then called, told her it was his job to take her to St. Michael’s Indian Residential School in Duck Lake, Sask.
She says the man sexually assaulted her while they were on their way to the school, about 85 kilometres northeast of Saskatoon.
The case was filed under the independent assessment process created through the wider Indian Residential Schools Settlement Agreement to adjudicate individual claims of physical, sexual and emotional abuse and to determine compensation.
Last week, a B.C. Supreme Court judge ruled her claim falls outside the scope of the agreement, because the woman was not yet enrolled at residential school at the time of the alleged sexual assault, and because the accused was not an employee of the school. She further noted the alleged assault did not happen on school property.
In rendering this decision, the judge upheld three earlier rulings that came to the same conclusion.
In her ruling, B.C. Supreme Court Justice B.J. Brown called the case and its outcome “troubling,” but noted that she is not precluded from pursuing a claim “through other means.”
Angus called the case “appalling,” and the judge’s position “ridiculous.”
Angus says he believes it’s part of a pattern of tactics used to block some residential school survivors from receiving compensation. He cited multiple cases of claims that have been denied over the years, including those brought by former students of St. Anne’s residential school in Fort Albany, Ont.
“What we have seen time and time and time again is a government willing to use the endless resources of the justice department to wage a toxic legal war against the legal rights of survivors,” Angus told reporters Monday in Ottawa.
He is calling on Crown-Indigenous Relations Minister Carolyn Bennett to intervene in this particular case and immediately award compensation to the woman.
But he also says a parliamentary committee should conduct a broader review of the Indian Residential Schools Settlement Agreement.
“We may never know how much of these cases were falsely adjudicated. I think a fair thing, now that this process is coming to an end, would be to learn lessons from it,” he said.
According to the latest statistics available on the Indian residential schools adjudication secretariat’s website, as of Dec. 31, a total of 99 per cent of the over 38,000 claims filed have been resolved. Only 13 claims remain in progress, nine of which are at the post-hearing stage.
Our Morning Update and Evening Update newsletters are written by Globe editors, giving you a concise summary of the day’s most important headlines. Sign up today.