- Information we may collect
- How we use your personal information
- Information collected and used when you visit our Sites and Apps
- Your Choices
- Interest Based Advertising
- Service providers, disclosures and information stored abroad
- Data retention and deletion
- Access and correction
- Specific exclusions
- The Globe’s Privacy Management Program
- Contacting The Globe regarding your privacy
1. INFORMATION WE MAY COLLECT
The Globe collects personal information from you in several ways. For example, we collect information that you provide to us, through your use of the Services, as well as information collected from publicly available sources or third parties.
INFORMATION THAT YOU PROVIDE
When you subscribe, register, or otherwise interact with our services, you may be asked to provide certain personal information.
For example, when you register or inquire about our services, you will be asked for your contact information. For paid Services, we will require payment information such as your credit card information. For services that have age restrictions, such as age-restricted content or events, your date of birth may be required to access those services. You may choose to provide supplementary information about yourself when you register for our services, such as your birth date, gender, income range, interests, the industry you work in, current position, and other demographic information. We collect personal information that you provide when you participate in discussions using our comment feature, engage with us on social media, post an online ad, enter a contest, participate in a promotion, use our event space, or use our tools, such as when you create an investment watchlist through The Globe’s portfolio tool.
INFORMATION COLLECTED THROUGH YOUR USE OF THE SERVICES
If you visit The Globe’s offices, you may be recorded on video for security purposes. If you speak with one of our representatives on the telephone, the call may be recorded for quality assurance, monitoring, and training purposes. If you do not want your call recorded, please contact us via our support website.
INFORMATION THAT WE COLLECT FROM PUBLICLY AVAILABLE SOURCES OR THIRD PARTIES
The Globe may receive personal information about you from third-party sources, as permitted by law, such as marketing and data analytics databases. Third-party sources provide us with survey data and publicly available data that may include information such as your name, mailing address, phone number, contact information, other demographics, and interests to help us understand our audience and ensure our content and services are relevant. In some cases, the advertisers that serve ads on our Services will share a hashed version of your e-mail or other information with us so that we can make sure their advertisements or offers reach you. When you register for our services using a third-party platform (e.g., using your Google, Facebook, or Apple account), the third-party platform may provide us with your social media identifier or handle and any additional information you authorize that third-party platform to share, such as your email address or contact information.
Other people may provide us with your personal information, for example, if they provide you with a gift subscription or if they want you to have access to a corporate or educational group subscription.
2. HOW WE USE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
The Globe uses your personal information to offer and provide you services as well as for various other business purposes. This includes:
- to fulfill your request for products and Services and process payment for services
- to make improvements to our Services and to develop new services
- to provide you with personalized content and advertising on and off our services (to learn more about interest-based advertising and your choices, please see “Interest Based Advertising”)
- to measure or understand the effectiveness of the content, advertising and marketing we serve
- to offer you promotions, offers and discounts on our services
- to administer your participation in a contest, survey, promotion, or event
- to communicate with you
- to maintain and improve the security of our sites and to detect and prevent fraud
- to enforce our agreements
- to facilitate the general management and administration of our business, including to meet our regulatory, legal, insurance, audit, security and processing requirements
- for any other purpose with your consent
For information on how to withdraw your consent or change your personal information, see Your Choices.
MARKETING OUR SERVICES AND CONTENT TO YOU
When we market our services, we may serve you and others with similar interests and preferences, targeted ads about our services on third-party platforms or their related apps (such as social networking and other sites). To offer these ads we may provide a hashed version of your email address or other information to third-party platforms for such purposes or we might incorporate a pixel or similar technology into our own service. If you no longer wish to see these ads, see Your Choices - Third Party Platform Marketing.
Sometimes we may send you personalized email newsletters or promotional emails. To opt-out of these emails, see Your Choices.
3. INFORMATION COLLECTED AND USED WHEN YOU VISIT OUR SITES AND APPS
Location Data: If you provide your express consent, some devices can transmit your location data. If you choose to share location data with The Globe you will be able to turn off such data collection at any time by accessing the privacy or location settings of your mobile device. We will obtain your express opt-in consent prior to using your precise location data for analytics, personalized ads, and personalized services.
Advertising: We collect and use automated information to offer relevant advertising on our site and across the Internet on behalf of ourselves and advertisers. Some of this advertising is based solely on your activity on our site. Some advertising is based on your activity on our site, as well as your activity across different sites on the Internet known as interest-based advertising (sometimes also referred to as personalized or online behavioural advertising). Please see Interest-Based Advertising for information on how to opt out of interest-based advertising.
More Information about Cookies and Other Similar Technologies:
For more information on how to disable cookies, see Your Choices.
4. YOUR CHOICES
What you can do if you wish to withdraw your consent or change your personal information:
- Account and Supplementary Information. Some of our Services allow you to update your account information and communication preferences by logging into your online account. To update or correct other information in our records, you can contact us at the contact information set out below.
- Email. To unsubscribe from email communications from The Globe, please click the unsubscribe link or other method indicated in the footer of the communication. Your opt-out applies to the type of communication that you unsubscribe from, and you may continue to receive emails from other Services of The Globe you’ve subscribed to, as well as essential transactional or account-related communications such as service confirmations, vacation stop and start confirmations, billing notices, delivery notices, and password reset requests.
- Other Services. If you wish to make changes to information you provide in connection with other Services of The Globe, for example, The Globe Insiders or the Event Centre, or experience any issues in using the methods described above, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and include the name of the Service or issue in the subject line or call Customer Service at 1-800-387-5400.
- Third Party Platform Sign-In Integration. Information you provide to The Globe through third-party platform integration features, such as Facebook, Google, or Apple, are governed by the terms of that particular service. You can disconnect your login integration from third-party accounts at any time within the settings of the third-party platform.
- Push Notifications. If you sign up for push notifications to your web browser or device, such as breaking news alerts, you can opt out in your web browser or app permission settings.
- Third Party Platform Marketing. If you no longer wish to see ads regarding our services on third party platforms, you may be able to opt-out using the instructions set out on the platform. To opt-out of our use of your email address or other information to serve ads about our services on third-party platforms, please contact us at email@example.com.
- Interest Based Advertising. To opt-out of interest-based advertising, see “Opting-Out of Interest Based Advertising”.
- Cookies. Most browsers are initially set up to accept cookies but offer a number of ways to control cookie preferences. Typically, users can: disable all cookies (not recommended), require approval each time a site attempts to place a cookie, remove cookies manually, or have them deleted automatically after a certain period. For step-by-step instructions on how to modify cookie preferences, please consult your browser’s support documentation. You can find instructions for commonly used browsers here:
- Consent Management Tool. Depending on where you are located, some of our sites or apps may present you with a pop-up that allows you to set certain preferences on how we and third parties use your data, on that site or app. For example, it can allow you to select a choice for personalized advertising. If you are presented with a banner, you can manage your choices any time through the ‘Privacy Settings’ link at the bottom of the applicable site.
The Globe does not require you to accept cookies, but disabling cookies on your browser may reduce the functionality of some Services.
5. INTEREST BASED ADVERTISING
The Globe may deliver tailored advertising on and off our Services based on your activity across different sites on the Internet and apps known as interest-based advertising (also referred to as personalized or online behavioural advertising). To learn more on how to opt out of interest-based advertising see “Opting-Out of Interest-Based Advertising”.
OPTING-OUT OF INTEREST-BASED ADVERTISING
As part of The Globe’s commitment to fair information practice, The Globe is a participant of the Digital Advertising Alliance Canada's (DAAC) AdChoices program and adheres to its principles. The DAAC’s AdChoices initiative allows you to opt-out of the use of information for interest-based advertising. For more information on this program, see https://youradchoices.ca/.
Web and Mobile Browser: At any time, you can opt-out of receiving interest-based ads on your desktop or mobile browser by clicking on the “AdChoices” logo here.on the top right corner of our site. An “Interest Based Advertising” screen will appear, providing you with a link to the DAAC tool that generates a list of third-party advertising companies participating in the DAAC’s Self-Regulatory Program for Online Interest-Based Advertising and who are currently collecting data from your browser for the purposes of targeted advertising. You can also access the tool
You may also see the AdChoices icon in or around advertisements on a website of The Globe. These advertisements are tailored for you through interest-based advertising. You can opt out of targeted advertising from that advertiser by clicking the "AdChoices" logo within the ad.
Mobile App: You can opt out of any interest-based advertising on your mobile app through your mobile device settings, which vary by device. More information on how to do this can be found here: https://www.networkadvertising.org/mobile-choices. DAAC also provides a tool called AppChoices to help you opt-out that can be downloaded here: https://youradchoices.ca/en/tools/.
IMPORTANT NOTES ABOUT YOUR OPT-OUTS
- If you opt-out of interest-based advertising by us or a third party, these tracking technologies may still collect data for other purposes, including analytics, and you will still see ads from us across the Internet, but the ads will not be targeted based on behavioural information and may therefore be less relevant to you and your interests.
- On web browsers, interest-based advertising opt-outs work by saving cookies in your browser that tells the various ad partners that you have opted-out. For mobile devices, interest-based advertising opt-outs work by sending an opt-out signal that tells the various ad partners that you have opted-out on a particular device. You must opt out separately on each of your browsers and mobile devices from which you do not want to receive interest-based advertising to ensure that information collected on a particular browser or device is not used on another browser or device.
- If you delete or clear your browser’s cookies, you will need to opt-out again.
For more information about interest-based advertising on your desktop, mobile browser, or apps, please visit the DAAC website: youradchoices.ca.
We use Google Ad Manager to serve our ads. Another option to opt-out of personalized ads served by The Globe using Google is to use Google’s own opt-out: https://adssettings.google.com/anonymous?ref=mac-hub&hl=en. To learn about your choices with Google: https://safety.google/privacy/ads-and-data/.
THE GLOBE TAKES STEPS TO HOLD YOUR INFORMATION SECURELY
The Globe has put in place reasonable physical, electronic, contractual and managerial measures designed to protect the information we collect from loss, theft, and unauthorized access, disclosure, copying, use, or modification. Learn more about our Privacy Management Program.
7. SERVICE PROVIDERS, DISCLOSURES AND INFORMATION STORED ABROAD
In some cases, The Globe will share personal information with service providers to perform activities on our behalf, such as processing payments, maintaining technology and related infrastructure, delivering communications and services, offering you customer service, providing advertising and analytics services, administering contests, surveys, events, promotions, and hosting our data. Our policy is to require such parties, by contractual or other means, to process personal information consistent with the standards set out in this policy. Your personal information may be transferred to our service providers or affiliates located outside of your province, or outside of Canada (including in the United States and the E.U.), for storage and processing.
The Globe (and its Canadian, US, and other service providers) may disclose your personal information to third parties: to enforce or apply our terms of service or conditions of purchase; to comply with applicable laws and lawful governmental or regulatory requests (which may include lawful access by US or foreign courts, law enforcement, national security authorities, or other government authorities); for the purposes of investigating a breach of an agreement or contravention of law; or to detect, suppress, or prevent fraud; or as otherwise may be required or permitted by applicable Canadian, U.S., or other law or legal process.
8. DATA RETENTION AND DELETION
We retain your personal information for as long as is necessary to comply with our data retention requirements, to provide you with services, and for our legitimate business operations. Under our data retention requirements, for example, we may be required to retain your information to:
- comply with our legal, financial reporting, or regulatory compliance requirements (e.g., maintaining records of transactions you have made with us);
- comply with contractual requirements; or
- exercise, establish, or defend legal claims.
Once the retention period has expired, we will either dispose of your information, or under some circumstances, we may anonymize it so that it can no longer be associated with you.
You can deactivate your account on theglobeandmail.com by calling Customer Service at 1-800-387-5400 or emailing us. Deactivation will result in not being able to log in and the ability to restore your account by contacting our customer care team, as long as your account is still active in our systems.
If you would like The Globe to delete all or some of the Personal Information that you provide us when you access our Services, please email us or call Customer Service at 1-800-387-5400. Please note, even if you make such a request, The Globe may retain your personal information in accordance with our retention practices or to continue to provide services to you.
9. ACCESS AND CORRECTION
You have the right to request access to, to update, and to correct inaccuracies in your personal information in our custody and control, subject to limited exceptions under applicable law.
In some cases, you can access and correct some of your information within our services, learn more under Your Choices.
If you still require assistance, you can make a request for correction or access in writing using the contact information below. We may require personal information from you to verify your identity to process your request.
10. SPECIFIC EXCLUSIONS
Our sites may include links to other third-party websites, plug-ins, services, social networks, or applications. Clicking on those links or enabling those connections may allow the third party to collect or share data about you. For example, if you navigate away from our sites by clicking on an ad or other link, other parties may also place a cookie in your browser. In other cases, our services may be available to you through third-party digital properties such as Google’s Accelerated Mobile Pages (AMP) or Apple News. The Globe does not control, nor is responsible for the activities or practices of any such other parties. Any such data use and collection is governed by their privacy policies.
12. THE GLOBE’S PRIVACY MANAGEMENT PROGRAM
For a summary of our privacy management program, visit this link.
13. CONTACTING THE GLOBE REGARDING YOUR PRIVACY
The Globe and Mail Privacy Officer
The Globe and Mail
351 King Street East, Suite 1600
Toronto, ON M5A 0N1 Canada