Skip to main content
The Globe and Mail
Support Quality Journalism.
The Globe and Mail
First Access to Latest
Investment News
Collection of curated
e-books and guides
Inform your decisions via
Globe Investor Tools
per week
for first 24 weeks

Enjoy unlimited digital access
Enjoy Unlimited Digital Access
Get full access to
Just $1.99per week for the first 24weeks
Just $1.99per week for the first 24weeks
var select={root:".js-sub-pencil",control:".js-sub-pencil-control",open:"o-sub-pencil--open",closed:"o-sub-pencil--closed"},dom={},allowExpand=!0;function pencilInit(o){var e=arguments.length>1&&void 0!==arguments[1]&&arguments[1];select.root=o,dom.root=document.querySelector(select.root),dom.root&&(dom.control=document.querySelector(select.control),dom.control.addEventListener("click",onToggleClicked),setPanelState(e),window.addEventListener("scroll",onWindowScroll),dom.root.removeAttribute("hidden"))}function isPanelOpen(){return dom.root.classList.contains(}function setPanelState(o){dom.root.classList[o?"add":"remove"](,dom.root.classList[o?"remove":"add"](select.closed),dom.control.setAttribute("aria-expanded",o)}function onToggleClicked(){var l=!isPanelOpen();setPanelState(l)}function onWindowScroll(){window.requestAnimationFrame(function() {var l=isPanelOpen(),n=0===(document.body.scrollTop||document.documentElement.scrollTop);n||l||!allowExpand?n&&l&&(allowExpand=!0,setPanelState(!1)):(allowExpand=!1,setPanelState(!0))});}pencilInit(".js-sub-pencil",!1); // via darwin-bg var slideIndex = 0; carousel(); function carousel() { var i; var x = document.getElementsByClassName("subs_valueprop"); for (i = 0; i < x.length; i++) { x[i].style.display = "none"; } slideIndex++; if (slideIndex> x.length) { slideIndex = 1; } x[slideIndex - 1].style.display = "block"; setTimeout(carousel, 2500); } //

Copies of The Globe and Mail newspaper are shown in Toronto. The Globe continues to be the most-read newspaper in Canada. Its weekly combined digital and print readership rose to 6.5 million in the third quarter, an increase of 1.8 per cent compared with the previous quarter, according to data released on Thursday.

Graeme Roy/The Canadian Press

The Globe and Mail continues to be the most-read newspaper in the country, according to data released on Thursday, with a weekly combined digital and print readership of 6.5-million. That number increased 1.8 per cent compared to the previous quarter. Including Report on Business magazine, Globe publications reach 7.1-million Canadians.

The third quarter report from publishing-industry researcher Vividata indicated that 76 per cent of Canadians read a newspaper each week, while 76 per cent read the average issue of any magazine. Readership of both magazines and newspapers has stayed relatively constant over the past year, though print readership of newspapers has declined slightly.

Among newspaper readers, 48 per cent access articles on a mobile device – in many cases as a complement to reading on a computer or in print; 44 per cent read print only, and 18 per cent read only on a digital device (whether computer, mobile, or a combination of the two.) Magazine readers are more concentrated in print: 62 per cent read print magazines only, and only 8 per cent read on digital devices only, while the rest access a combination of print and digital sources.

Story continues below advertisement

The country's largest newspapers all saw growth in digital readership: The Globe and Mail's weekly readership was up 3.9 per cent to 4.1-million compared to the previous quarter; the National Post reached 2.7-million, an increase of 2.2 per cent; and the Toronto Star had a 1.1-per-cent increase in digital readership, also at 2.7-million weekly. In all cases, those gains were offset somewhat by declines in weekly print readers.

The media-measurement firm's data are based on a sample of 43,325 Canadians ages 12-and-up across 45 markets, and tracks readership of 71 magazines and 64 newspapers.

Report an error Editorial code of conduct
Due to technical reasons, we have temporarily removed commenting from our articles. We hope to have this fixed soon. Thank you for your patience. If you are looking to give feedback on our new site, please send it along to If you want to write a letter to the editor, please forward to
Comments are closed

We have closed comments on this story for legal reasons or for abuse. For more information on our commenting policies and how our community-based moderation works, please read our Community Guidelines and our Terms and Conditions.

To view this site properly, enable cookies in your browser. Read our privacy policy to learn more.
How to enable cookies