Skip to main content

Cedar planks are stacked at a lumber yard in Montreal on April 25, 2017.

Paul Chiasson/THE CANADIAN PRESS

New Brunswick's premier says he remains cautiously optimistic the United States will provide his province with relief from hefty tariffs on softwood lumber exports.

Brian Gallant and Maine Governor Paul LePage met with U.S. Secretary of Commerce Wilbur Ross Jr. in Washington Wednesday.

It's the third meeting Gallant has had with Ross in the last year.

Story continues below advertisement

The U.S. Department of Commerce announced last November that New Brunswick softwood lumber producers, who had been exempt from U.S. tariffs in the past, will now have to pay 20.83 per cent duty, although producers in the rest of Atlantic Canada will be exempt.

Forestry giant J.D. Irving will pay a lower rate – 9.92 per cent.

Gallant says he's confident New Brunswick can get rid of the tariffs through litigation, but says that could take years, and some mills can't wait that long.

Report an error
Due to technical reasons, we have temporarily removed commenting from our articles. We hope to have this fixed soon. Thank you for your patience. If you are looking to give feedback on our new site, please send it along to feedback@globeandmail.com. If you want to write a letter to the editor, please forward to letters@globeandmail.com.
Comments are closed

We have closed comments on this story for legal reasons or for abuse. For more information on our commenting policies and how our community-based moderation works, please read our Community Guidelines and our Terms and Conditions.

Cannabis pro newsletter