Skip to main content

The Globe and Mail

Port of Montreal container traffic down 10%

Container traffic at the Port of Montreal is down nearly 10 per cent in the first quarter as the recession squeezes global trade, but the results are better than those of competitors, the Port of Montreal's acting president and CEO told the annual meeting yesterday. Sylvie Vachon said container traffic handled in the three months ended March 31 is down less than 10 per cent. With other traffic included, first-quarter activity is 14.1 per cent lower than the same quarter last year. "These results are definitely better than those of our competitors, which means that the Port of Montreal continues to benefit from its structural advantages and its market diversification," Ms. Vachon said.

Report an error
As of December 20, 2017, we have temporarily removed commenting from our articles. We hope to have this resolved by the end of January 2018. Thank you for your patience. If you are looking to give feedback on our new site, please send it along to feedback@globeandmail.com. If you want to write a letter to the editor, please forward to letters@globeandmail.com.