There’s a lot at stake for Ontario as it tries to map out the potentially lucrative future for its mining sector. But as the province’s former premier Bob Rae said recently, it’s more important to get it done right than to get it done fast.
Ontario’s current Premier, Kathleen Wynne, was bending Prime Minister Stephen Harper’s ear about this issue Thursday afternoon, urging Ottawa to help the province finance the estimated $2-billion cost to build the infrastructure needed for the rich Ring of Fire mineral deposit in a remote region of northern Ontario that, for starters, is devoid of the roads and/or rail lines that are absolutely essential to realizing its massive potential.Report Typo/Error
- Cliffs Natural Resources Inc$6.62+0.38(+6.09%)
- Barrick Gold Corp$21.86+0.58(+2.73%)
- Agnico Eagle Mines Ltd$63.43+1.83(+2.97%)
- BHP Billiton Ltd$34.16+0.22(+0.65%)
- Goldcorp Inc$18.29+0.38(+2.12%)
- Cameco Corp$12.39+0.33(+2.74%)
- IAMGOLD Corp$7.04+0.11(+1.59%)
- Kinross Gold Corp$5.62+0.19(+3.50%)
- Newmont Mining Corp$33.81+0.31(+0.93%)
- HudBay Minerals Inc$6.88+0.18(+2.69%)
- Rio Tinto PLC$39.17+0.46(+1.19%)
- Yamana Gold Inc$3.53+0.20(+6.01%)
- Updated June 23 4:00 PM EDT. Delayed by at least 15 minutes.