Recommendations from small business focus groups:
- Co-ordinate efforts of employers, professional groups and settlement agencies across Canada.
- Create a single data base of résumés of qualified immigrant candidates.
- Have credentials and references vetted by industry or professional associations.
- Make job-opening postings free for employers.
- Make data base free to use, but require log-in.
- Provide assistance for both employers and immigrants with interview techniques.
- Provide employer support for first six months of employment.
- Make procedures simple and quick.
- Focus efforts on organizations between 50 and 500 employees.
- Provide financial incentives or tax relief if possible.
- Run information campaign through accountants serving small business.
Source: Global Talent for SMEs : Building Bridges and Making Connections