Kickstarter and Indiegogo, two of the most popular donation-based crowdfunding sites in the country, give creative people the opportunity to fund their projects via online donations or pre-purchasing of products or experiences. Each month, The Report on Small Business will provide a snapshot of the top 10 Canadian entrepreneurial crowdfunding campaigns of the moment. The figures are accurate as of May 12, 2014.
1 of 10
1. is a fantasy board game where players flick wooden discs through a set of rooms battling monsters and getting treasure. Catacombs Elzra Games, the Hamilton-based company behind the project, has raised $233,771 of its $40,000 goal on Kickstarter.
2 of 10
2. is a fantasy-themed, fully self-contained tabletop game for 2 to 4 players. It is a unique board-game/card-game hybrid that is deeply strategic in nature, and usually takes between 30 and 60 minutes to play. Allegiance: A Realm Divided Underground Games, the Calgary-based company behind the game, has raised $83,614 of its $50,000 goal on Kickstarter.
3 of 10
3. is designed after and for real Pacific Northwest women of all ages, shapes, personalities, and sizes - their bodies are not retouched or Photoshopped away. Ten per cent of all profits from every suit purchase will support a charitable cause chosen by the woman who inspired its design. Julia Church, the Vancouver-based designer, has raised $66,966 of her $10,000 goal on Indiegogo. Nettle's Tale Swimwear Inc.
4 of 10
4. is a 'massive' labour of love that took four years to make. The film shifts between the worlds of the Miss India pageant and a Hindu fundamentalist camp for girls. Nisha Pahuja, the Toronto-based director behind the film, has raised $57,290 of her $50,000 goal on Kickstarter. The World Before Her
5 of 10
5. is a story about murder, redemption, and justice obstructed. Can a murderer be forgiven? This is a complex film that poses tough questions about justice. Toronto-based filmmaker Alison Armstrong has raised $53,090 of her $50,000 goal on Kickstarter. The Guy with the Knife
6 of 10
6. . . The type of cancer that Ryan has comes in two strains, and Ryan has the easier of the two to beat, and some of his treatment plan includes extended travel to the U.S. for a specific Proton Therapy. So far, Ryan's family has raised The Toronto-based team raised $49,000 of its $5,000 goal on Indiegogo Meet Ryan
7 of 10
7. . Rock band Kittie is celebrating its 20th anniversary with a DVD featuring never before seen footage, and a tell-all book that digs deep to give you the story behind the music. The London, Ont. project has raised $40,525 of its $20,000 goal on Indiegogo. Kittie DVD and Book
8 of 10
8. is a feature length documentary to alleviate the pain and suffering of Kerala's captive elephants, and expose their abhorrent torture and exploitation for profit. The Toronto-based filmmaker, Sangita Iyer, has raised $35,950 (U.S.) of her $10,000 goal on Indiegogo. For the Love of Elephants
9 of 10
9. is an indie sext comedy that also happens to be the Grand Prize Winner of the National Film Pitch Competition, presented by CANON & Big Vision Empty Wallet. The Toronto-based project has so far raised $33,670 of its $32,250 goal on Indiegogo. The Etiquette of Sexting
10 of 10
10. is a customizable dry erase notebook. Each of the 'Leaf' notebooks come with 50 pages of writable surface, or 25 sheets, of pure white paper coated in a thin yet resilient coating allowing you to use most dry erase pens. Furthermore each Leaf comes with two sheets of transparencies, allowing you to quickly mark up your most important thoughts or drawings. The Ottawa company has raised $32,231 of its $6,500 goal on Kickstarter. Writerase