Kickstarter and Indiegogo, two of the most popular donation-based crowdfunding sites in the country, give creative people the opportunity to fund their projects via online donations or pre-purchasing of products or experiences. Every few weeks, The Report on Small Business will provide a snapshot of the top 10 Canadian entrepreneurial crowdfunding campaigns of the moment. The figures are accurate as of July 30, 2014.
1 of 10
is an affordable paste extruder that can easily be added to almost any existing 3-D printer. It will expand the range of materials beyond molten plastic, to include a wide range of pastes. Discov3ry paste extruder Structur3D Printing, the Waterloo-based startup behind the project, has raised $126,086 of its $30,000 goal on Kickstarter.
2 of 10
2. is an innovative, independent school that creates inspired students. Their goal is to build a model school of engaging, experiential learning. So far, the Squamish, B.C.-based school has raised $121,688 of its $150,000 goal on Indiegogo. Coast Mountain Academy
3 of 10
3. On May 17, Hadlie’s parents found out that their daughter had a brain tumor and are raising money to help them continue to make memories, as a family. The family from Grande Prairie, Alberta has raised $110,345 of its $20,000 goal on Indiegogo. Hadlie's bucket list.
4 of 10
4. gives you the knowledge you need to improve and stay healthy while maintaining an active lifestyle, in real-time. The wearable devices are designed to optimize your workout and reduce the risk of injury, through intelligent sensing and feedback. LEO's hardware is made of a breathable and comfortable material similar to the compression apparel that you’re already used to. The project, in partnership with MaRS Discovery District, has raised $101,478 (U.S.) of its $50,000 goal on Indiegogo. LEO
5 of 10
5. are tiny sensors and controllers that run on a coin cell for years, with no programming required. They connect to the cloud via a BLE to WiFi router. McThings WestWork Technology Ltd. has raised $97,549 of its $50,000 goal on Kickstarter.
6 of 10
6. is a new way to support innovative, accessible, independent games. Spaceteam is Henry Smith's first project as an independent developer. So far, Spaceteam Admiral's Club Sleeping Beasts, the Montreal-based startup behind the project, has raised $83,235 of its $80,000 goal on Kickstarter.
7 of 10
7. is a unique child seat for adult bicycles, which ensures there is nothing between you and your greatest family adventures. It's front-mounted and allows your child to see everything you see. Your child can participate in the ride, standing on the stirrups, learning about balance and speed. The Vancouver-based startup behind the project has raised $78,730 of its $65,000 goal on Kickstarter. MacRide
8 of 10
8. is a user-friendly A.I. unlike any you've seen before. Feel free to discuss anything with her - whether it is a sophisticated scientific discussion or a simple chit-chat, we did our best to make sure that she will be able to talk to you just like another human would. J.A.E.S.A. Ainova Robotics, the Toronto-based startup behind the project, has raised $68,515 of its $30,000 goal on Kickstarter.
9 of 10
9. . Liz, who has seven siblings, is living with a very rare disease called Spinocerebellar Ataxia (Type 17). She needs a high level of delicate and loving care to meet her daily needs. So far her family has raised $50,738 of its $40,488 goal on Indiegogo. Get Liz to the Sunbeam Lodge
10 of 10
10. Fair Vote Canada, the organization behind this project, aims to build one of the biggest democratic reform movements in Canada's History. So far, the organization has raised $36,424 of its $35,000 goal on Indiegogo. Make 2015 the Last Unfair Election.