If Adam Lind has been placed on outright waivers as is being reported the Toronto Blue Jays are not about to admit it.
“I know he was optioned,” Toronto manager John Farrell said Sunday morning. “Beyond that, that’s a confidential procedure.
“I’m aware of the reports that are out there but I’m not aware of anything beyond the option to Las Vegas.”
On Thursday, the Blue Jays optioned their struggling first baseman down to their Triple-A farm team in Las Vegas in the hopes that he could discover the swing that allowed him to hit .305 with 35 home runs back in 2009.
It was first reported on CBSSports.com on Saturday that the 28-year-old Lind had been placed on outright waivers by the American League club.
A club will often place a player on waivers to try to gauge if there is any interest among other teams in taking that player off their hands. If a claim is made, the club has the option of moving the player off waivers and then try to negotiate some sort of a trade.
When a player is placed on outright waivers, once another team makes a claim that player has to change teams.
Lind still has two years left on an option-laden contract in which he is guaranteed a salary of $5-million both this year and next.
At the time of his demotion, the first baseman was batting just .186 with 3 homers and 11 RBI.
Farrell said Lind is expected to be in the Las Vegas lineup for Sunday’s game.
The manager said that the club is hopeful that Lind can discover a more consistent approach at the plate while down in Triple-A.
“He hasn’t lost his ability,” Farrell said. “It’s in there. We’ve got to get back to unlocking that and letting it play out more consistently.”
Farrell also said that a wrist injury suffered recently by Travis Snider while playing for Las Vegas is still bothering him and is to be re-evaluated before a decision is made when he can return to the lineup.Report Typo/Error
Follow us on Twitter: