Skip to main content

Toronto Blue Jays players run from the dugout as they celebrate the team's win over the Texas Rangers to take the American League Division Series Oct 14, 2015 in Toronto.John Lehmann

It was wild and controversial with more twists and turns than a tawdry daytime soap opera.

And when this gut-wrenching affair finally came to an end, with close to 50,000 emotionally drained supporters at Rogers Centre seemingly unable to pry themselves away from their seats, the Toronto Blue Jays were dancing on the field in celebration.

It was the Blue Jays' first return to the playoffs in 22 years and, boy, did they make it memorable.

The Blue Jays picked themselves off the canvas like a battered heavyweight prize fighter to inflict an incredible – some might say improbable – 6-3 decision over the Texas Rangers Wednesday night.

With the win in the do-or-die affair, the Blue Jays earned a 3-2 win in the best-of-five game American League Division Series to complete a remarkable comeback. They will now face the Kansas City Royals in the American League Championship Series. The Royals topped the Houston Astros 7-2 Wednesday evening.

The Blue Jays became just the third team in baseball history to win a five-game series after dropping the first two games at home.

"I think we were too good a team to bow out in the first round," Toronto manager John Gibbons said afterward, champagne soaked, standing near the back of the Toronto clubhouse where the partying had now shifted.

"I think everybody felt that way. We ran into a good ballclub, too, who could have won very easily. They had a hell of a year, just as good as us. That's the way it goes sometimes.

"But the guys did earn this. It was a crazy game, went down to the wire. And guys stepped up like they have all year."

It ended with rookie closer Roberto Osuna blowing a third-strike slider past Will Venable in the bottom of the ninth to earn the save.

Osuna gazed skyward as he always does after registering a save, giving thanks, before he was engulfed by an oncoming tidal wave of teammates rushing out from the dugout.

As the crowd cheered them on in delirious fashion, the Blue Jays formed a big circle just off to the side of the mound, leaping up and down like their spikes were on giant springs.

Left fielder Ben Revere threw himself on top of the pile and was precariously perched there for several moments before he was sucked into the human vortex.

Pitcher R.A. Dickey, like the rest of the players, quickly pulled on a black T-shirt commemorating the moment, proclaiming "Toronto Wants It More" on the front.

The knuckleballer then jogged along the right side of the stands, shaking hands with patrons standing in the front row along the way.

The Blue Jays now play in the AL Championship Series against either the Kansas City Royals or the Houston Astros in a best-of-seven playoff, which starts Friday.

The heat in this game was slow to come but when it did it hit like a freight train.

Edwin Encarnacion had just stroked his first home run of the playoffs in the sixth inning that had drawn the Blue Jays even at 2-2 after Toronto had fallen behind 2-0.

Then came an utterly bizarre seventh inning that will forever be seared into consciousness of Canadian baseball fans.

It began with a simple throw back to the pitcher's mound by Toronto catcher Russell Martin that ignited a tempest in a teapot.

The ball hit the bat of Shin Soo-Choo, the Texas batter, and rolled in fair territory up the left side. Rougned Odor of the Rangers was on third and the time and he alertly ran home on the play.

It appeared that home plate umpire Dale Scott initially ruled the play dead, but after conferring with Texas manager Jeff Banister and then conducting a meeting with the entire umpiring crew, Scott reversed his decision.

Odor's run was allowed to stand and the Rangers had themselves a 3-2 lead.

That ignited a firestorm among the pent-up partisan gathering that vented their frustration by heaving plastic water bottles and beer cups and cans – many of them full – onto the artificial turf.

A filled water bottle nearly hit Martin behind the plate and another came close to striking a Metro Toronto Police officer who was standing in front of the Texas dugout as the umpires tried to sort things out.

"I wasn't really sure what exactly happened," Gibbons said. "I still don't know exactly how it was ruled."

In the bottom of the seventh the Blue Jays responded the best way they know how as the Rangers suddenly turned ham-handed, committing three errors that led to four unearned runs and the Blue Jays victory.

The big blow was registered by Jose Bautista, a three-run shot to left field that powered Toronto in front, 6-3, never to look back.

"He's got the flair for the dramatic," Gibbons said. "On a national stage he really showed up."

"I just enjoyed the moment, rounded the bases and got to the dugout," Bautista said. "And after all the guys stopped punching me and hitting me is when I kind of started realizing what happened.

"I knew I did something great for the team at the moment of impact because I knew I hit that ball pretty good, and I gave us the lead in a crucial moment so I was happy to do that."

Marcus Stroman got the start for Toronto and he did fine, rebounding after a bit of a wobbly beginning to throw six innings where he allowed two Texas runs off six hits.

Aaron Sanchez came into the game in the seventh and he pitched 1.1-innings, allowing one run off two hits to earn the victory.

Report an error