Roger Sloan said thanks, but regrettably no thanks.
The Merritt, B.C. golfer has decided not to accept an invitation into next week’s RBC Canadian Open in Montreal, opting instead for the bright lights of Overland Park, Kansas and the Web.com Tour.
Sloan was given an exemption into Canada’s National Open championship following his first career win at the Nova Scotia Open last week. But the 27-year-old said on Friday he was going to have take a pass.
“Sadly, I’ve decided not to play @RBCCanadianOpen this year,” he tweeted. “As much as I’d love to play our national open, I need to focus on #The25”
The 25 is the Web.com Tour’s money list which will determine which players get their PGA Tour card for 2015. With a win, Sloan is all but guaranteed of graduating to the big tour next year. However, where he finishes on the money list following the Web.com Tour Finals will determine his priority ranking when it comes to getting into PGA Tour events.
Currently, Sloan sits 13th with $151,807 in earnings.
Sloan’s decision is similar to one fellow Canadian Richard Scott made back in 2012. The former three-time Canadian Amateur champion bypassed the Canadian Open in favour of a Web.com event (then known as the Nationwide Tour). That year Scott was sitting 27th on the money list and finishing in the Top 25 earned players direct entry onto the PGA Tour, the last year that was possible ahead of the planned overhaul of Q-School.Report Typo/Error
Follow us on Twitter: