Skip to main content

Kyle Beach of the Chicago Blackhawks skates in a game against the Pittsburgh Penguins during the NHL Rookie Tournament on Sept. 14,2010 at the John Labatt Centre in London, Ont.Claus Andersen/Getty Images

Kyle Beach, who said he was the victim of sexual assault at the hands of a Chicago Blackhawks employee a decade ago, will meet with team officials on Tuesday, The Athletic reported.

Beach sued the team earlier this year. Last week, lawyers for Chicago filed documents asking in support of their previous motion to dismiss lawsuits filed by Beach and another person. The team contends the filings were legal procedures and that they intend to enter settlement talks with Beach.

His lawyer, Susan Loggans, said Saturday that she and Beach have a meeting scheduled with the team on Tuesday, per The Athletic.

Chicago chief executive Danny Wirtz said he has instructed team lawyers to “see if we can reach a fair resolution consistent with the totality of the circumstances.”

On Saturday, NHL commissioner Gary Bettman talked to Beach about what the league can do to better protect its players after the former first-round pick said he was sexually assaulted by an assistant coach in 2010 and his allegations were largely ignored by Chicago.

Donald Fehr, the leader of the NHL players’ association, also met with Beach in a separate video-conference call.

Loggans said Bettman expressed his “sincere regret” over what Beach had experienced. He also offered the NHL’s help with psychological services for him and his family and anything else that the league had available.

“There was discussion about what could be done in the future to assure this kind of thing did not occur again,” Loggans said in an e-mail to The Associated Press.

Loggans said Beach’s meeting with Fehr covered the league’s substance abuse and behavioral health program, which did not follow up when Beach reported what happened.

“They looked at it as though it was a privileged communication and they couldn’t do anything,” Loggans said. “And they want to carve out a mechanism whereby if abusive behavior is taking place they can take action.”

Fehr said Wednesday night in a statement that there was “no doubt” that the system had failed Beach and “we are part of that system.”

The NHLPA has scheduled a Monday call for its executive board. What happened with Beach is expected to be discussed during the meeting.

Last week, Chicago released the findings of an investigation that showed Beach was sexually abused by Brad Aldrich, the former video coach. General manager Stan Bowman resigned and the senior vice-president of hockey operations, Al MacIsaac, was fired for their handling of Beach’s allegations when they learned about them in 2010. The coach at the time, Joel Quenneville, also resigned from his job as coach of the Florida Panthers.

The NHL fined Chicago US$2-million for “the organization’s inadequate internal procedures and insufficient and untimely response” to Beach’s allegations that he was sexually assaulted by Aldrich during the team’s Stanley Cup run in 2010.

Getzlaf breaks tie with Selanne for Ducks’ points record

Ryan Getzlaf broke a tie with Teemu Selanne for Anaheim’s career points record, assisting on Troy Terry’s third-period goal in the Ducks’ 4-2 victory over the Montreal Canadiens on Sunday. Getzlaf set up Terry’s power-play goal midway through the third with a tip pass near centre ice to help the Ducks end a six-game winless streak. The 36-year-old Getzlaf has 989 points in 1,111 games, all with the Ducks, on 279 goals and 710 assists. Selanne had 457 goals and 531 assists in 966 games with Anaheim. Adam Henrique, Vinni Lettieri and Sam Carrick also had power-play goals for Anaheim, and John Gibson made 16 saves.