Skip to main content
The Globe and Mail
Support Quality Journalism.
The Globe and Mail
First Access to Latest
Investment News
Collection of curated
e-books and guides
Inform your decisions via
Globe Investor Tools
per week
for first 24 weeks

Enjoy unlimited digital access
Enjoy Unlimited Digital Access
Get full access to
Just $1.99per week for the first 24weeks
Just $1.99per week for the first 24weeks
var select={root:".js-sub-pencil",control:".js-sub-pencil-control",open:"o-sub-pencil--open",closed:"o-sub-pencil--closed"},dom={},allowExpand=!0;function pencilInit(o){var e=arguments.length>1&&void 0!==arguments[1]&&arguments[1];select.root=o,dom.root=document.querySelector(select.root),dom.root&&(dom.control=document.querySelector(select.control),dom.control.addEventListener("click",onToggleClicked),setPanelState(e),window.addEventListener("scroll",onWindowScroll),dom.root.removeAttribute("hidden"))}function isPanelOpen(){return dom.root.classList.contains(}function setPanelState(o){dom.root.classList[o?"add":"remove"](,dom.root.classList[o?"remove":"add"](select.closed),dom.control.setAttribute("aria-expanded",o)}function onToggleClicked(){var l=!isPanelOpen();setPanelState(l)}function onWindowScroll(){window.requestAnimationFrame(function() {var l=isPanelOpen(),n=0===(document.body.scrollTop||document.documentElement.scrollTop);n||l||!allowExpand?n&&l&&(allowExpand=!0,setPanelState(!1)):(allowExpand=!1,setPanelState(!0))});}pencilInit(".js-sub-pencil",!1); // via darwin-bg var slideIndex = 0; carousel(); function carousel() { var i; var x = document.getElementsByClassName("subs_valueprop"); for (i = 0; i < x.length; i++) { x[i].style.display = "none"; } slideIndex++; if (slideIndex> x.length) { slideIndex = 1; } x[slideIndex - 1].style.display = "block"; setTimeout(carousel, 2500); } //

Eugenie Bouchard hits a return to Dominika Cibulkova during a third-round match at the U.S. Open Championships in New York on Sept. 4. The Canadian withdrew ahead of a fourth-round match with Roberta Vinci.


Thirty-six hours after she slipped and slammed her head in a darkened training room at the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center, Canadian Eugenie Bouchard was forced to pull out of the U.S. Open on Sunday afternoon.

Bouchard wouldn't comment on the end of her tournament, which was blamed on a concussion. She sent out a member of her camp to explain what had happened, but not for attribution.

The accident was caused by a strange series of events that seemed to at least partially implicate staff working at the U.S. Open.

Story continues below advertisement

Asked if Bouchard is angry at organizers, one of her representatives said, "Um … [long pause] … I'm not going to comment on that. I don't want to speak for Genie. This is just what happened."

According to Bouchard, after finishing her mixed-doubles match late Friday night, she returned to the players' locker room located underneath the main stadium.

Around 10:45 p.m., she told a trainer that she was going to do her press availability, but would return to take an ice bath.

At or shortly after 11 p.m., she returned to the locker room. No women's matches were ongoing, and all the staff had left. In order to get to the ice baths, players must walk through a training room.

The lights had been turned off and the floor was slick. Bouchard was feeling her way around, "disoriented." She slipped and fell backward, landing hard on her elbow and head.

Not yet sure how badly she'd hurt herself, Bouchard left and went to the emergency room of New York's Mount Sinai hospital.

The next morning, feeling increasingly unwell, she returned to the U.S. Open to be treated by a tournament doctor. She was advised to drop out of that day's events in the doubles and mixed doubles.

Story continues below advertisement

Though suffering from multiple symptoms of a concussion – headache, sore neck, sensitivity to noise and light – Bouchard still wanted to try to compete in Sunday's singles match. It was scheduled to begin around 6 p.m.

She booked a practice court for 3:15 p.m. That was pushed to 4 p.m., and then cancelled.

At 3:30 p.m., Bouchard arrived at the players' entrance. Despite the heat, she had a hoodie pulled up over her head, and was wearing sunglasses. She moved unsteadily to the entrance, staring at the ground.

Going against the urging of her advisers, Bouchard tried to convince doctors that she was capable of playing. She spoke about attempting to run on a treadmill, to test her legs. She was re-examined and once again advised not to play by medical staff.

Generally speaking, tennis pros get the last word on whether they are capable of taking the court. They can be overruled by the tournament director for their own safety, which happens rarely.

Bouchard was convinced to give up around 4:30 p.m. She signed the letter of withdrawal and left the grounds.

Story continues below advertisement

The U.S. Open seemed taken unawares by developments. Nearly two days after the incident, and hours after Bouchard had withdrawn from the tournament, their head spokesperson wasn't familiar with any internal investigation into the matter.

Asked if organizers bear some responsibility for the mishap, that same spokesperson, Chris Widmaier, said, "I can't answer that until I have more information. I think it's a fair question, but I can't answer that."

This has the potential to become an interesting question of liability. Advancing out of Sunday's fourth round match against Roberta Vinci would have earned Bouchard an extra $197,000 (U.S.). There are still tournaments remaining, as well as sponsorship commitments. It's not clear how long it will take her to recover, or how much that has the potential to cost her.

There's no suggestion that Bouchard might contemplate legal action. When asked about it, Widmaier shrugged: "I certainly can't comment on that."

The unexpected nature of her end here seems oddly in keeping with Bouchard's year.

She came into 2015 burdened with the expectations placed on a breakout star – not just the next big player, but the face that would carry women's tennis forward.

Story continues below advertisement

She made major changes in her support team – splitting with her long-time coach and the agent who'd discovered her.

She was serviceable at the year's first big tournament, the Australian Open, reaching the quarter-finals. Two months later, she had a decent run into the Round of 16 at Indian Wells. Then everything went pear shaped.

For most of six months, Bouchard couldn't win for losing. It was a startling, humiliating descent. She'd finally seemed to start coming out of it here.

She arrived in New York without a coach, having fired the replacement. In what seemed like a bit of a desperate move, she brought in men's legend Jimmy Connors to advise her on an ad-hoc basis.

She seemed understandably brittle ahead of her first match, metronomically repeating her 'one day at a time' mantra. She won that encounter, and seemed surprised she'd managed it.

After the first match, she was asked how much any one victory now meant to her.

Story continues below advertisement

"So much!" Bouchard said.

She won her second match as well. And then her third – a steamy, three-set slog against former major finalist Dominika Cibulkova.

You didn't want to say Bouchard was back, but she looked a lot more like the player we wanted to remember. Usually upbeat, she now seemed buoyant.

"When I was coming into this tournament, one win was a huge thing for me," Bouchard said, late on that Friday night. "Every match, in a way, is really important to me."

That was her second-to-last answer. Bouchard got up, walked a few metres down the hallway and it was over.

The immediate question is, 'For how long?' Depending on how that turns out, it might be followed by, 'Who's to blame?'

Your Globe

Build your personal news feed

  1. Follow topics and authors relevant to your reading interests.
  2. Check your Following feed daily, and never miss an article. Access your Following feed from your account menu at the top right corner of every page.

Follow the author of this article:

View more suggestions in Following Read more about following topics and authors
Report an error Editorial code of conduct
Due to technical reasons, we have temporarily removed commenting from our articles. We hope to have this fixed soon. Thank you for your patience. If you are looking to give feedback on our new site, please send it along to If you want to write a letter to the editor, please forward to

Welcome to The Globe and Mail’s comment community. This is a space where subscribers can engage with each other and Globe staff. Non-subscribers can read and sort comments but will not be able to engage with them in any way. Click here to subscribe.

If you would like to write a letter to the editor, please forward it to Readers can also interact with The Globe on Facebook and Twitter .

Welcome to The Globe and Mail’s comment community. This is a space where subscribers can engage with each other and Globe staff. Non-subscribers can read and sort comments but will not be able to engage with them in any way. Click here to subscribe.

If you would like to write a letter to the editor, please forward it to Readers can also interact with The Globe on Facebook and Twitter .

Welcome to The Globe and Mail’s comment community. This is a space where subscribers can engage with each other and Globe staff.

We aim to create a safe and valuable space for discussion and debate. That means:

  • Treat others as you wish to be treated
  • Criticize ideas, not people
  • Stay on topic
  • Avoid the use of toxic and offensive language
  • Flag bad behaviour

If you do not see your comment posted immediately, it is being reviewed by the moderation team and may appear shortly, generally within an hour.

We aim to have all comments reviewed in a timely manner.

Comments that violate our community guidelines will not be posted.

UPDATED: Read our community guidelines here

Discussion loading ...

To view this site properly, enable cookies in your browser. Read our privacy policy to learn more.
How to enable cookies