Skip to main content

The Globe and Mail

India's Olympics gatecrasher regrets ‘error of judgement’

A woman walks with the Indian team at the opening ceremonies of the London Olympics on July 27, 2012.

Mark Humphrey/AP

The woman who gatecrashed India's parade at the Olympic opening ceremony apologized on Friday for her "error of judgement" and said she did not breach security at the London Games.

Madhura Nagendra, identified as a Bangalore student by local media, irked Indian officials in London by her unauthorised presence alongside flag-bearing wrestler Sushil Kumar.

London 2012 chief Sebastian Coe confirmed her as a cast member and said she had been "slightly over excited".

Story continues below advertisement

"In an error of judgement I resulted in walking with the Indian contingent," Nagendra told reporters in Bangalore.

"Of course I have realised my mistake...I have not breached security which was stated earlier in the media. I have not trespassed, I have not gatecrashed.

"I'm part of the casting committee. Yes, I have hurt the sentiment of my people. I understand it was a mistake and I apologise for the same," she added.

Television pictures and photographs from last Friday's ceremony showed Nagendra walking in the Olympic Stadium dressed in red and blue in complete contrast to the Indian contingent's female members who were wearing yellow saris and blue blazers.

Report an error
As of December 20, 2017, we have temporarily removed commenting from our articles. We hope to have this resolved by the end of January 2018. Thank you for your patience. If you are looking to give feedback on our new site, please send it along to feedback@globeandmail.com. If you want to write a letter to the editor, please forward to letters@globeandmail.com.