Rio Olympics Day 12: Andre De Grasse advances to men's 200-metre final
- Andre De Grasse advances to the men’s 200-metre final after setting a Canadian record in the semi-finals.
- Canadian golfer Brooke Henderson shoots a 1-under-par 71 in the opening round of women’s golf. She is four shots behind clubhouse leader Inbee Park of South Korea.
- Brazil advances to the men’s soccer final after beating Honduras 6-0 in the semi-finals.
- A Brazilian judge has ordered American swimmers Ryan Lochte and James Feigen to remain in the country after they gave conflicting reports about a robbery.
- IOC executive Patrick Hickey was targeted in a police probe into ticket scalping at the Rio Olympics. He’s accused of plotting with six others to ilegally sell tickets for the Games.
WHAT’S HAPPENING TODAY (ALL TIMES EST)
Track and Field
Andre De Grass e advanced to the men’s 200-metre final after setting a Canadian record in the semi-final at the Rio Olympics Wednesday night. The Canadian sprinter already has a bronze medal under his belt in the 100-metre, and he’ll be looking for another medal when he races in the final Thursday night.
In the women’s 800 metres qualifying rounds, Canada’s Melissa Bishop advanced to the semi-finals after winning her heat with a time of 1.58.38.
Caster Semenya, the controversial South African runner, finished sixth overall with a 1:59.31.
The Globe’s Stephanie Nolen writes that Semenya’s performances will be seized on as evidence by one side or the other in an intensifying debate about gender and sport, and who gets to define the boundaries.
Sean Kilpatrick/THE CANADIAN PRESS
Canada’s Dori Yeats lost her chance at a bronze medal in the women’s 69 kg freestyle wrestling after winning a repechage match earlier in the day. Sweden’s Jenny Fransson beat Yeats 3-1.
Superstar Neymar led the host country to a 6-0 win over Honduras in the men's semi-finals. Brazil will play Germany on Friday for gold at 4:30pm.
Canadian Damian Warner is off to a good start in the Olympic decathlon.The native of London, Ont., ran an Olympic-best 10.30 seconds in the 100 metres, the first event in the 10-discipline competition. A silver medallist at the world championship, Warner beat his top rival, American and defending champion Ashton Eaton, who finished second in their heat in 10.46.
Warner earned 1,023 points for the victory while Eaton, who is married to Canadian heptathlete Brianne Theisen-Eaton, recorded 985.
Canada's Brooke Henderson shot a 1-under-par 71 in the opening round of the women's golf competition. The 18-year-old from Smiths Falls, Ont., was four shots behind leader Inbee Park of South Korea.
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
- Day 1: Canada wins its first medal of the Rio Games
- Day 2: Canada wins a silver in women’s butterfly
- Day 3: Women’s rugby sevens earns bronze for Canada
- Day 4: Canada takes bronze in 10m synchro dive
- Day 5: Canada picks up sixth medal in women’s freestyle relay
- Day 6: Oleksiak wins Canada’s first gold medal of Rio 2016
- Day 7: Canada’s Rosie MacLennan takes home gold in trampoline
- Day 8: Theisen-Eaton wins bronze in heptathlon, De Grasse wins heat
- Day 9: Bolt wins gold, De Grasse takes bronze in the 100 metres final
- Day 10: Canadian Shawn Barber eliminated from pole vault in early exit
- Day 11: Derek Drouin wins gold in men’s high jump
FOLLOW THE GLOBE IN RIO
With a report from the Canadian Press