Brazil’s federal police filed a report on Wednesday seeking to have corruption charges brought against unpopular President Michel Temer, which could lead to his suspension from office.
The report said an investigation had obtained evidence that Mr. Temer pocketed about US$300,000 in bribes from construction giant Odebrecht, which is at the heart of a regional corruption scandal.
Mr. Temer has survived two previous attempts to charge him. He has already denied any wrongdoing in the case.
Brazil’s top court said it received the report, which will be sent to prosecutor-general Raquel Dodge, who will decide whether Mr. Temer should be charged for the third time since taking office in 2016.
Ms. Dodge was appointed by Mr. Temer. The two previous charges were made by one of her adversaries, former prosecutor-general Rodrigo Janot.
If Ms. Dodge chooses to proceed, two-thirds of the Brazilian parliament, the Chamber of Deputies, would have to vote to suspend Mr. Temer and put him on trial. The body twice rejected previous charges against him.
Mr. Temer’s term ends on Dec. 31, filling the term of Dilma Rousseff, who was impeached for alleged mishandling of federal finances.
The popularity rating for Mr. Temer has been in the single digits since last year and he decided against seeking a new term in October’s national elections.
On Tuesday, Brazilian prosecutors asked a judge to approve charges against conservative presidential candidate Geraldo Alckmin. They accuse the former state governor of Sao Paulo of receiving illegal campaign contributions from Odebrecht amounting to US$2.5-million in his 2014 election.
Mr. Alckmin, who has struggled in the polls, denies any wrongdoing. His lawyers called the accusation “noise from a prosecutor” before the presidential election.
Investigators at the Sao Paulo state prosecutors’ office said Mr. Alckmin’s political rights should be suspended, but that would be unlikely to happen before the elections.
The same prosecutors’ office is also seeking charges against another likely presidential candidate, Fernando Haddad of the Workers’ Party.
Mr. Haddad is expected to take over as the party’s presidential candidate for jailed former president Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva, who was barred from running by Brazil’s top electoral court on Saturday.
Mr. da Silva has held a strong lead in opinion polls despite his corruption and money-laundering conviction. He denies any wrongdoing.
Mr. Haddad, who is currently the Workers’ Party vice-presidential candidate, said during a campaign event in Sao Paulo that the party will appeal electoral court’s decision to Brazil’s Supreme Court. The party has only until Tuesday to replace Mr. da Silva as its presidential candidate.