Skip to main content

Conspiracy theorist Alex Jones accused of destroying evidence in school massacre lawsuit

Conspiracy theorist Alex Jones was accused in court filings Friday of destroying evidence relevant to the case of families from Sandy Hook Elementary School, who are suing him for claiming the massacre was a hoax.

Attorneys for two Sandy Hook victims noted that Mr. Jones said during a recent broadcast of his radio program that he’d told his staff to delete information from the website of his Infowars media company, after CNN cited content from it for violating Twitter policies.

That followed Twitter saying earlier this week that it was temporarily suspending Mr. Jones for violating company rules about inciting violence.

Story continues below advertisement

Families of Sandy Hook victims are suing Mr. Jones for spreading false claims about the 2012 shooting in Newtown, Conn., that killed 20 children and six adults.

Mr. Jones originally suggested that the killings were staged, and those suing him said they’ve since been tormented by his followers and forced to move seven times.

Mr. Jones now says he believes the Sandy Hook shooting did occur, but has argued that the case should be dismissed because he was acting as a journalist.

Mr. Jones’s attorney, Mark Enoch, did not immediately return a phone message seeking comment Friday.

The filings came in Travis County, which includes Austin, near where Mr. Jones’s media company is based. They argue that Mr. Jones “admitted that he instructed his staff to delete the materials.”

“The loss of this evidence prejudices plaintiffs’ case because InfoWars deleted social media and video evidence related to the Sandy Hook shooting,” the filing argued. “This evidence could have established key elements of plaintiffs’ defamation claim.”

A similar defamation lawsuit against Mr. Jones has also been filed in Connecticut. A separate suit in Texas was brought by a man falsely identified on the Infowars website as the gunman who killed 17 people at a high school in Parkland, Florida, in February.

Story continues below advertisement

On Tuesday, Twitter said it was suspending for one week Mr. Jones’s personal account. The account for Infowars wasn’t affected, although Facebook, Apple, YouTube and Spotify have taken down material published by Mr. Jones, reflecting more aggressive enforcement of hate speech policies amid online backlash.

Report an error
Comments

Welcome to The Globe and Mail’s comment community. This is a space where subscribers can engage with each other and Globe staff. Non-subscribers can read and sort comments but will not be able to engage with them in any way. Click here to subscribe.

If you would like to write a letter to the editor, please forward it to letters@globeandmail.com. Readers can also interact with The Globe on Facebook and Twitter .

Welcome to The Globe and Mail’s comment community. This is a space where subscribers can engage with each other and Globe staff. Non-subscribers can read and sort comments but will not be able to engage with them in any way. Click here to subscribe.

If you would like to write a letter to the editor, please forward it to letters@globeandmail.com. Readers can also interact with The Globe on Facebook and Twitter .

Welcome to The Globe and Mail’s comment community. This is a space where subscribers can engage with each other and Globe staff.

We aim to create a safe and valuable space for discussion and debate. That means:

  • All comments will be reviewed by one or more moderators before being posted to the site. This should only take a few moments.
  • Treat others as you wish to be treated
  • Criticize ideas, not people
  • Stay on topic
  • Avoid the use of toxic and offensive language
  • Flag bad behaviour

Comments that violate our community guidelines will be removed. Commenters who repeatedly violate community guidelines may be suspended, causing them to temporarily lose their ability to engage with comments.

Read our community guidelines here

Discussion loading ...

Due to technical reasons, we have temporarily removed commenting from our articles. We hope to have this fixed soon. Thank you for your patience. If you are looking to give feedback on our new site, please send it along to feedback@globeandmail.com. If you want to write a letter to the editor, please forward to letters@globeandmail.com.
Cannabis pro newsletter